Alside Excalibur vs Soft-lite Barrington

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Guest1@Denver1

Alside Excalibur vs Soft-lite Barrington

#1 Post by Guest1@Denver1 »

We are looking to replace our construction grade air filled double pane window with more energy efficient vinyl. We are not looking for anything fancy...just a reasonably well constructed mid level window. We have gotten quotes from three companies. Two of the companies quoted for their version of the Alside Excalubur and one for the Soft-lite Barrington. The prices are coming out in the same ball-park (barrington marginally higher), but wanted to clarify a few things from the pros/homeowners on here. From what I have gathered reading through the forum, the Soft-lite Barrington appears to be the better window. However, most of the comments/criticisms I hear about the Excalibur I am confused about. For example the sloped sill etc...the excalibur now says they have the "truly sloped sill without the need for weep holes". Is this a design improvement over their earlier "pocket/snap in" varierty. Also, the excalibur apears to have metal reinforced sash which the barrignton doesn't. Both have the SS intercept spacers. The u-factor and shgc ratings are the same, but as pointed out here the air infiltrtion for the barrignton is better at 0.07 over the 0.12 for the excalibur. Is this such a huge difference? Another things working for the excalibur is the lifetime warranty on labor (through WW), whereas the soft-lite is only 1 year labor. Should I be worried if things start to go wrong after the first year, I have to foot the labor charges (presumably over $100) even though both have lifetime warranty on all parts. In light of these issues I am confronted with, would folks still say Barrington is the way to go. Would appreciate any reasoning to help me decide.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Alside Excalibur vs Soft-lite Barrington

#2 Post by masterext »

First- how many windows and what was the cost for each. Any grids.

Excalibur is just a flimsy designed window and air leakage was a big issue. I could not recommend that window. Although the Barrington is Soft lite's lower end offerings, i still prefer it over excalibur. Saving a few bucks is spending more over the next 5-7 years in my view, if that makes sense.
I would also see about upgrading to the soft lite bainbridge.

Guest1@Denver1

#3 Post by Guest1@Denver1 »

We have 10 double hung windows, no grid. We are being quoted $390 per window for the excalibur, and $450 on the barrington. In Denver, CO.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am going to have to echo masterext sentiment.

Buying windows should be a 1 time purchase. Having seen a multitude of Excalibur installs and having actually put them in some of our early clients homes, they were not, in many cases, permanent replacements.

Guest1@Denver1

#5 Post by Guest1@Denver1 »

Thanks for the reply guys. Has anybody here dealt with the excalibur recently, and aware of changes to it (like in the last couple of years)? The sales person/owner for the excalibur install says that excalibur has made huge imporovements over the past few years, while raising the price slightly. He says it is on par with barrington now (with better labor warranty). Overall, my impression was that he was surprisingly non-pushy and well read. He explained the improvements in excalibur (that I mentioned in my original post) that brings it in line with competitors (and also gave example of company called sunrise that used to be not as good, but slowly has become a premier brand). Is this correct? I understand that some pros here tried excalibur with disastrous results a while back, and switched due to issues. WOuld love to hear from anybody who has dealt and understands these recently.
We unfortunately don't have the budget to move to higher end models, and have to decide between these two.
Thanks guys.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Of course he is going to say that; he he gets the excalibur cheaply, as many contractors do and sell it cheap with the hopes of customers gravitating towards the lower price. Think about it, even you are tempted because of the price.
No, it is not on par with any soft lite product and yes, i have seen the excalibur recently.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

That model is largely unchanged of the last several years. They were selling too many of them to necessitate any change.

The newer model that is coming out is better but I would like to see some units in service before giving the thumbs up or down.

I have looked at the newer unit and it isn't bad looking but still feels a bit light on the vinyl thickness and structure.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with the sentiments expressed so far. The Barrington is the better choice. That said, I'd suggest that you may even want to look a little bit further upstream than these windows. You mentioned that you currently have builder grade units ( I assume less than 20 yrs old?) . If you want to see a measurable difference in performance and get something that will last, I'd move up to something like the Elements from softlite or one of the other better performers on the market. You will pay more no doubt, but the last thing that you want to do is make a choice that you"ll regret because it does not meet your expectations... I'd at least check out some of the better options before you make your final decision.

masterext

#9 Post by masterext »

The absolute worst thing to do is to apply the " anything is better than what i currently have logic".
Just because its better doesnt mean your current window issues will be dramatically reduced; thats where quality comes into play.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

If your budget is tight, you might at least get a bid on the Soft-lite Bainbridge as it's a modest step up from the Barrington.

Like my fellow pros, I'm not convinced that Alside's modification of the Excalibur line signifies a commitment to quality manufacturing. They've proven otherwise for so long that it will take time to change their reputation.

Guest1@Denver1

#11 Post by Guest1@Denver1 »

Thanks for all the comments. I am definitely not thinking along the lines of "anything is better than what I have" situation, but am trying to ascertain if the higher costs for barrington is commensurate with quality. Upon randy's suggestion, I followed up with the softlite guy for a quote for the bainbridge, and it bumps up to 530 per window. That is over our budget. Another thing I clarified and that is making me nervous is that he mentioned after the 1st year, he charges $150 per service call realted to warranty issues! If problems start to arise, that is potentially a huge money sink. Is that standard? If the windows are quality, why are softlite not offering better labor warranty like the alside installers? Making me nervous this.

Homesealed - our window is 22 years old, and in a recent energy audit was shown to be very leaky, thus our intention to make it more energy efficient.

randy

#12 Post by randy »

No that is not normal. Remember, we're only recommending manufacturers and product lines, not the particular contractor who carries Soft-lite in your area.

masterext

#13 Post by masterext »

He probably offers a free service/ labor warranty for a full year. Lots of companies do that, some are lifetime.
The product should be good for life though.
I would tend to think he charges 150 per call not 150 per issue.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote:He probably offers a free service/ labor warranty for a full year. Lots of companies do that, some are lifetime.
The product should be good for life though.
I would tend to think he charges 150 per call not 150 per issue.
+1. It is pretty standard for no "trip charges" for the first year. I personally go beyond that and some companies do, but it is not out of the ordinary for a charge to come in after a year or so. As masterext mentioned, that is almost surely per "trip", not per issue. This item is something that will vary by dealer, with no regard to what product is being offered. IE: you could just as easily find another Softlite dealer that covers service calls for life, and an Alside dealer that charges a fee after a year... Just know that you are paying for it one way or another. It is either a cost that is built in or one that added later.
On the pricing, that Bainbridge actually sounds about right. That would be the entry level product that I'd consider in that line IMO. It is very difficult to get a good window and installation from a reputable company under $500ea.

masterext

#15 Post by masterext »

Its my understanding that the new alside is the same exact extrusion as the old excalibur except with a modified sill.