AMI window and vista window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tom77

AMI window and vista window

#1 Post by tom77 »

AMI window that (window world) sells is that mfg. by alside. Vista window is made in Ohio. I would like to no if anybody knows about these window companies. I live on Long Island and Sunrise and some of the Manufactures this website talks about do not sell on the Island.

tom77

Re: AMI window and vista window

#2 Post by tom77 »

I just called Vista Windows which is located in Ohio and asked one of the managers there about DP, air infiltration,low e coatings , u factor SHG and he would not talk to me cause he did not no if i was a competitor. He told me to call someone in my area that sells the window. I had windows installed 20 years ago and I believe they were measured wrong cause I have 1x4 put in around the top and sides to fill in the opening and the capping on the outside is now that much wider.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

That does sound like your old windows were measured wrong.

On the two products you are looking at, you are on the right track in analyzing the performance data. It won't lie, and it will give you a great idea of the quality of the window.
On that line of thinking, my advice would be not to waste more time on those two if you are looking for a top performer. I believe Okna should be available in your area, along with some of the other top choices. Look for air infiltration ratings at/under .05 for double hung, u value .27 or lower with a shgc over .25. DP50 minimum... Those are my preferred parameters anyway. :)

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

there were installers that would line a drywall return jamb with 1x6 so that they had an easy place to screw the window in and also a receptor for their capping. I never did that method as it made little sense to me. Perhaps that is what happened to yours.

theWindowNerd...

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I usually find that companies protect the information when it isn't worth talking about.

Some companies protect the information better than national secrets.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

I like when companies just use " pass or fail" .. What a joke, give a number.
When a manufacturer uses pass or fail , they are hiding the air infiltration number. There is just no other reason.

tom77

#7 Post by tom77 »

Saturday I went to window world to actually see there window and asked the salesmen about u value shgc dp air infiltration and he asked me if I was an engineer. I guess customers see there adds $200 a window and come in and unless they see a forum like this are not knowledgeable about a window. $200 is there 4000 series window and they have a 6000 series window. I must say this window just came out replacing there older 4000 style window and for a mid grade window is built very well with installation and capping foam and some fees double pane $440 triple pane krypton $530(6000 series) They have a lot of awards without going into them. The warranty lifetime on frame, glass and labor.

I can see where a contractor and people that do this for a living have to deal with. I been on this site for over 6 years and appreciate all your input. I don't see Buddy much anymore and wow has a nice site that tells about windows.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks Tom.

Buddy is around here from time to time but his eyesight is bad from being soooooooooo old.

That and he can't be far from a toilet these days......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Tom, the new window is very similar to the old unit with a few updates. They did change the sill which is important, as well as upgrade the performance, however it still leaves a bit to be desired IMO in overall quality. In the short time that I sold/installed that product some years ago, it had the highest ratio of installed window to service issues of any product that I have carried, and by a large margin. It is an improvement for sure, but it is really just a little bit better version of what it already was= a bargain level product. At $440 ea, they are getting closer and closer to the range where you can get a top performing product. As entry level windows go, I'd prefer something like the Polaris Value Smart or Okna 400. Softlite Bainbridge or Pro would be better as well, as would the base Sunrise...
On top of all that, in my experience companies like WW pay their installers less than the going rate which results in a revolving door of subs. The best installers get top dollar, as they are in high demand and won't even consider working for the bargain type companies. Installation is 50% of a properly operating window, and ironically enough, the necessity for top installation quality goes up in a linear fashion as product quality goes down. Cheaper window= harder install.

tom77

#10 Post by tom77 »

I live on Long Island Gorel is out of business Sunrise,Softlite do not sell on the Island. Okna has maybe one or two contractors that install on all of Long Island I could probably install Simonton myself. I saw how bad my replacement windows were installed. The one good thing about window world is there lifetime warranty on everything

fridge2020

#11 Post by fridge2020 »

I can put a lifetime warranty on a pile of dog crap if you'd like, what good is that? Pretty much any reputable vinyl window will come with a warranty from 50yrs-lifetime these days. Many dealers also put a lifetime warranty on workmanship. Let me tell you a dirty secret about that though: the majority of issues that would come up due to workmanship/installation are going to show up in the first year, if not 5 at most. 5yr, 10yr, or Lifetime, its mainly marketing at that point. Not sure how you could gather, after 6 yrs of lurking, that the choice in question in any way would be high quality. You get what you pay for, period. Take one of the cheaper products on the market, combine it with some of the lowest paid installers, what do you think that you are gonna get? Does their lifetime warranty cover that cold draft that comes in your windows in the winter to the point that I've seen people put plastic over their new windows? Nope. Sorry for being blunt, but the other guys are on point. At least go for the Vista if you arent going high end.

tom77

#12 Post by tom77 »

Let me add two more cents. A warranty is only as good as long as the company is in business ( Gorel comes to mind) and also if the contractor goes out of business.I seen the Okna window and I am going to see the Simonton window.The new Window World window does have a .04 air infiltration and probably sells more windows in the United States then any other manufacture . This could be because they have more stores and probably the price of there product.
The Okna contractor that came to my house had the attitude I cover most of the Island and if you want this window you have to go through me. I would like to get at least 2 quotes on this window.
Okna only lets one contractor cover a large area.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

Alside does NOT have a .04 air leakage number in their double hungs, its higher.

fridge2020

#14 Post by fridge2020 »

tom, let me put my diy psychologist hat on here for a moment. Like many consumers before you, you have come to this forum to gather knowledge and make an informed decision on windows. You have learned a lot of great info from other consumers and respected professionals. Now, you are faced with a choice that goes DIRECTLY AGAINST everything that you have learned here, but that $ savings sure sounds good, and the sales pitch makes sense, that the price is so low because of their volume, right? WRONG. You are posting here looking for affirmation that this choice wouldn't be thaaat baaad, would it? You are not going to get that affirmation. Don't be deceived tom. Step away, look at this objectively. Low cost product + low cost labor CANNOT equal high quality final product. It just can't happen. Of course they are going to say otherwise, what do you expect, that they would come in and tell you "hey, here is our windows that is mediocre at best, and we are gonna have a sub that just started yesterday and doesn't mind low pay do the install for you"? Of course they won't say that. I also know from experience that they put a tremendous amount of pressure on their installers to get projects completed in one day. How do you think that will affect quality?
If I am off base, forgive me, but this situation is a common one. It is your money so you will make the final choice, but don't say that nobody warned you. The fact that you are here investigating and showing concern for your decision tells me that you aren't the typical person that falls victim to the lowest price proposition.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

tom77 wrote:I would like to get at least 2 quotes on this window.
Okna only lets one contractor cover a large area.
This is pretty much standard for the higher end choices. Manufacturers reward volume dealers with exclusivity. It also protects the integrity of the brand when any "chuck in truck" cannot buy and install the product. You can still compare pricing on comparable units, just not on the exact same product .