Alside Mezzo vs. Soft-Lite Classic

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
COHomeowner1331

Alside Mezzo vs. Soft-Lite Classic

#1 Post by COHomeowner1331 »

Hello All,

Replacing 17 windows in my Denver, CO home and have it narrowed down to two choices: Alside Mezzo or the Soft-Lite Classic series. All of the u ratings, solar heat gain, etc. look pretty similar. The Soft-Lite bid is ~$1,600 higher than the Mezzo bid, but I'm more than willing to pay the difference for the better window, as we have crappy builder grade windows now. Help would be greatly appreicated, thank you!

toddinmn

Re: Alside Mezzo vs. Soft-Lite Classic

#2 Post by toddinmn »

The Classic is a pretty good mid range window but I would see if you could upgrade to the "Pro" which is pretty much the Classic loaded up with a lot of standard features that have to be added to the Classic.The Pro will come with Superspacer, double- strength glass, and sash reinforcement. Alside windows will get no love from the board and I'm sure others will tell you to upgrade to the Soft-Lite Element or LS but that will come at a price may be hard to find a dealer.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Todd pretty much answered my question for me.

If you you are talking to someone about Soft-Lite, ask them to demo the Elements and see where that comes in at.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

The Pro also comes with foam filled sash and frame.

COHomeowner1331

#5 Post by COHomeowner1331 »

Thanks all, this is really helpful.

I went back and looked at the bid. The double strength glass, and frame/sash re-enforcement was already included, and the windows are to be foam filled. Sounds like most of the upgrades recommended for the Pro? Only difference I see at this point is the Superspacer versus metal spacer, but now we're really getting into the weeds here ...

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

For me it would be cheaper to buy the Pro then to upgrade the Classic to Pro specs. The Pro may not be available to your dealer or hr may have different pricing.

fridge2020

#7 Post by fridge2020 »

Pro is fine, Elements is best. Those would be my choices.

COHomeowner1331

#8 Post by COHomeowner1331 »

Hey all,

Well, we went with the Soft Lite, and so far I am not overly impressed. I am having issues with the double sliders. They we're just installed today so I was checking them out. It seems to me that when you slide one side closed, the other side pops out, so the lock doesn't lineup. It is almost like you need two hands to close the window. Also the screen does the same thing when you open the other side. While I appreciate a tight seal, it seems like you really have to push hard to get the window closed, which is why the other side keeps popping out.

This is aside from the fact that I wanted like replacements, which were single sliders. Normally I would not mind the upgrade but this seems to be more trouble than it is worth. I was told this problem gets better as the weather stripping gets broken in, but I don't know. Advice would be greatly appreciated, as right now I am having serious regrets.

randy

#9 Post by randy »

Having to push both sashes apart in order to lock the windows is not unusual with windows that have very tight tolerances and triple point weatherstripping. Windows built with a lot of slop in the manufacturing tolerances are always going to be easier to operate, but they are far leakier too. Over time, the weatherstripping should begin to shape and that will reduce the issue somewhat. You made a good choice and will be happy when those winds start blowing hard against the house.
Last edited by randy on Wed May 14, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Without seeing the install it is also impossible to tell if they were set a bit tight too.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to both comments. I'd also add that the installation company should be able to add a "stop" to one side of your preference to immobilize it and alleviate this problem.

COHomeowner1331

#12 Post by COHomeowner1331 »

Thanks to all for the great tips/comments. The installer also offered to upgrade the screens to a full window screen which also helps. I think between that and the possible 'stop' suggestion, we will get there. I was panicking that I had just spent a lot of money on really clunky windows. I will say however that the house felt a lot warmer this morning and the seal around the windows is pretty solid.

Thanks again, feeling much better about the whole process.