Selecting replacement windows...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Delaware Mike

Re: Selecting replacement windows...

#16 Post by Delaware Mike »

The 500 and 800 are basically the same window except for the fact that the 800 has more bells and whistles. I personally think that the sculptured metal lift handles on the 800 are worth the upgrade as I feel they look so much nicer than run of the mill "me too, average Joe, ham and egger" vinyl lift rails. Sounds like the 500 is a home run for you. Nice window.

Windows on Washington

#17 Post by Windows on Washington »

Next around then.

The 500 is an excellent window and will serve your needs just fine.

Eric

ablak

#18 Post by ablak »

First, thank you all for your advise and guidance for selecting the replacement windows.

The contract had been signed today for both the windows and replacing the aluminum siding with vinyl as well. The windows will be Okna 800 series, double glazed, nickel plated hardware, etc.

The number of windows increased from 14 to 17. The about 30 years old bay window will have the frame staying, but the windows replaced with Okna 800 series windows.

The contractor brought a 800 series sample window and this was the first time I've actually touched one. This window does feel sturdy and well made and has all the frills that the others didn't have. The actual work will start by the end of April, or earlier.

Again, thank you all for your advise and guidance for selecting the window...

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good deal and great window.

Keep us posted how it goes.

We love to see follow up on how the project went.

ablak

#20 Post by ablak »

I can hardly wait to get them installed and yes, I'll be back to gloat about them... :wink:

I like this contractor; thanks WoW for your advise of don't worry about how far he is. The quote started out on the web, where I've specified just the number of windows. No sizes, just describing the type of windows, that has resulted in three quotes, good, better, best. From there, it had been email exchanges to finalize the quote, add the siding and the gutters. Today his son came with the contract, measured up everything, added three more windows, signed the contract, and off we go.

The guy said that they get 90% of their business over the web. And I don't wonder about why that is; no pressure sales, none whatsoever. Even the contractor's son didn't try selling anything extra outside of the quoted stuff, when he was here. He actually suggested using the Okna 400 instead of the 800 series in the little sand room, front of the main entrance. I didn't know that you could just replace the windows in the bay window, that's about 30 years old. Once he suggested that, it didn't take me long to add them to the quote.

Since there are number of contractors on this board, who give great advice to novices, I started to wonder. How many of you are using the web for getting new customers? Just curious....

TheWindowNerd

#21 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think in your case that the choice between the 800 and 500 is looks. Me, I like the 800 with the lift handle instead of the lift rail.

theWindowNerd...

ablak

#22 Post by ablak »

So, I've got the windows and this is the cert that they came with:

The old window, 35+ years old, looked like this:

And this is the new window, hardware enlarged:

The trimming needs some minor painting, which we were going to do anyway this summer. The new window works better, the hardware looks sturdy, it should be good for about 30+ years.

The installer asked me to keep the windows locked if not used, to prevent the frame from going out of alignment or square. is that some advice that I should listen to?

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep them locked for the first couple of days until the caulking and foam cures up fully.

HomeSealed

#24 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:Keep them locked for the first couple of days until the caulking and foam cures up fully.
+1. Helps the seals break in as well. Not really necessary after that, although is you leave them pen for an extend period that can be harder to lock as the seals will expand again. Not a big deal, but it happens with any window.

TheWindowNerd

#25 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I've never thought to give my customers that advice. What we do have happen a couple times each year is that the HO may not be home when we are complete and miss the instruction to open the lower sash 3" before tilting in. If the just barely open the window and tilt it in the sash gets pulled out of the balance shoes and will not reengage with out raising those balance shoes a little higher. The last two I was able to explain over the phone and they did it.

theWindowNerd...

ablak

#26 Post by ablak »

Thank you all for your advise, that helped me to select the best windows within my budget. I love the new windows. They have sturdy construction, look great, slide easily, and even reduced noise from the outside. I attribute the latter one to the foam filled frames more so, than to the double pane windows. The old windows had hollow frames with double pane windows, except the bay windows that were single pane.

Other than allowing the foam and caulk to set initially, is there any maintenance that should be done with these windows? Other than the obvious clean them every once in a while...

@Anthony... I did raise the window 3-4 inches before tilting the window in and I've laid the sash against the inside window shill. It's probably the shortness of the shill and the weight of the sash, sort of like a pry bar leverage, that caused the sash to be pulled out of the balance shoes. No big deal since I've caught it before it fell. Bringing up the bottom sash higher than 3", double or more, changes the leverage and angle that makes the sash stays in the balance shoes. Just my experience...