Selecting replacement windows...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ablak

Selecting replacement windows...

#1 Post by ablak »

Hello all, first time posting...

My house has replacement windows, vinyl, that are about 30 years old. They were in place when I've bought the house and have no idea what brand they are. Most, if not all of them have some issues, such as brittle plastic, broken hardware, fogged up windows, etc. As such, I need to have them replaced. In all, 14 double-hung windows, pretty much standard size of 32x53 for all windows...

I've been looking around for awhile by now and to say that shopping for replacement windows is confusing would be an understatement. From Andersen to Soft-lite, all the sales people bad mouthing other companies and they also ask to purchase at the given price today. Some of them, like Castle, are downright rude and keep dropping the price and wouldn't want to leave without a check.

I've just had Next Step Living giving me estimates, per windows installed, for Soft-Lite:

Elements Solar Ultimate Glass(Triple glass): $1,194.14
Elements Super Spacer (Double glass): $1,042.93

That's a far cry from Castle's estimate of $560 and even higher than Andersen quote of $1,020 per windows installed. I don't doubt that the Soft-Lite windows are good, but have some doubt that they are "that" good.

So, it's pretty much back to the drawing board and looking for replacement windows for my Connecticut home. Could anyone recommend replacement windows ~$600 range that would be available in my neck of the woods? Please no Castle windows....

TIA...

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Selecting replacement windows...

#2 Post by masterext »

You mean to tell me you didnt enjoy the " time share pitch" with the 3 hour presentation Castle gave you ? LOL

On a serious note, Elements is a very well designed window and amongst the best in the industry.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Elements is a great one.

Beyond that, Sunrise Restorations, Vanguard, Kensington Quantum 2, Okna EnviroStar and Insul-tec are all well regarded.

ablak

#4 Post by ablak »

Whenever I'll be in the mood for torture, I'll call Castle again... :twisted:

While Castle deserve the top spot for the "most efficient time share pitch", Anderson isn't far from them. Softlite wasn't too bad, the pitch was done in an hour with substantial time spent discussing football. Anyway...

I've got some Okna quotes, ranges from $400 for Low-E and $550 for the Enviro-Star, per windows installed. I also have a local contractor visiting me today, who installs Ideal windows. The Ideal Ultra Tite window has similar numbers to the Enviro-Star, as far as the U-factor SHGC numbers concerned.

Are the Element windows that good to justify the $1,000 - 1,200 price per window installed? Seem to me that Enviro-Star is just about as good....

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

The Okna is every bit the perfomer that the Elements is, with more glass area to boot an arguably more attractive. Those are two of the top performers on the market, either would serve you well.
The price on that product is also VERY aggressive if that is a reputable company. Easy choice IMO.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Ideal Windows have a flimsy extrusion and the Ultra Tite is a mid grade at best. Stick with elements or okna 800.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

I do both of those series from OKNA and Soft-Lite. I love them both, however there is no way in the world that that Soft-Lite's top offering is worth double the cost of the OKNA Envirostar. From a dealer's cost to purchase either of these projects, they should be very close in price. Since every dealer has a different business model and overhead to operate their business, it's not uncommon for a smaller dealer that does his own installs to be about $100 to $200 less per window than a mid-sized dealer. There are pros and cons to obtaining that pricing.

Sounds like your on the right track with the OKNA quotes. Sorry to hear your experience regarding Castle. I talked to fellow last night that said the same thing as he just had them out for an estimate. What's really scary is that business model is considered successful in the "first call close" commissioned sales industry. The owners of such types of outfits couldn't eat their gray poupon sandwiches in the back of his Rolls Royce without those slimy sales gimmicks.

ablak

#8 Post by ablak »

My issue with the Okna quote is, that the contractor is relatively far away about 80 miles. I am not certain, if this board allows posting the contractor/company names, but... They have all "A" ratings on Angie's List and haven't found any negative feedback on the web. For some reason, I am weary of the long distance, albeit I did like the no sales pitch quote from their website.

The Ideal quote, yet to be received, will be local contractor later this afternoon. It's better be less than the Okna 800 quote that I have. Softlite with they high per window cost is no longer in the "run"...

BTW... Thank you all for your advise/feedback to select the replacement window, much appreciated.... :wink: :wink: (in lack of clapping emoticons)

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

If he is willing to travel, I don't see an issue with that.

I will be driving about 100 miles to go service a customer that is in North Baltimore.

ablak

#10 Post by ablak »

WoW... I don't live that far from Baltimore, another couple of hundred miles. :)

The Ideal Ultra Tite windows quote is roughly $500 per windows replaced. The performance numbers are, with Okna 800 series in parenthesis:
  • U-Factor: 0.24 (0.26)
  • SHGC: 0.23 (0.29)
  • Air Infiltration: 0.02 (0.01)
Other "features" are pretty much the same as well. I just don't like that Okna is missing the lift rail and has metal ear for this purpose. The 50 bucks difference is negligible at this scale and it'll depend on the siding quote that's still coming from both contractors.

I started to like the "remote contractor", he's responsive to emails and evidently doesn't believe travelling unnecessarily. It's sort of interesting that for siding quote, he just asked for my address and ZIP code. He'll probably look up the house at the city's website to get the square footage required for the siding. Maybe WoW is right... If he's willing to travel, why should I worry?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

ablak, those performance numbers are not "apples to apples" as they may seem. Pay close attention to the SHGC. A .23 in that area is better suited to a climate like AZ or TX, not yours. Manufacturers disingenuously use glass packages that will actually DECREASE overall efficiency, because they know that unsuspecting homeowners are focusing on that U-factor. They put extra coatings of low e to accomplish this. You can look at VT (visible transmission) to verify this as well, as it will cut down the amount of light that passes through.

ablak

#12 Post by ablak »

Thanks HomeSealed, you've given me some more homework. At the time when I believed that I am done with selecting windows... :wink:

It's a learning experience to decide the type of windows that my house should have. None of the manufacturers actually helping in this regard. They push numbers that have little or no meaning to home owners and in some cases, even some of the contractors are puzzled by them.

All of these numbers are dependent on each other, change one and the others will follow. Seemingly, the "VT" values impact the "SHGC" values, that in return impacts the "U-Factor" and the "CR" vlaues. The "VT" values will also impact the brightness of the room and how the outside will look through the windows. The higher the "VT" values, the brighter the room will look and conversely, provides clearer view of the outside. The type of screen installed will also impact the brightness and the view.

The higher "VT" value allows more light in, increases "SHGC" and "U-Factor" values, more suitable to geographical regions where heating is the primary concern.

The lower "VT" value on the other hand allows less light in, decreases the "SHGC" and "U-Factor" values, more suitable to geographical regions where AC is the primary concern.

The "AI" values on the other hand are for the frame, sashes, seals, etc., that has no impact to the glass rating.

The best option is to understand and compare these numbers in a spreadsheet, like this:

In the case of my house in Connecticut, where we don't have central AC just window units, the Okna 500, double glazed, with ESP windows would be just fine. My house may not even need the Okna 800, double glazed, with ESP windows; especially, if the "AI" value isn't taken into account.

This is my non-expert view of the different windows and their ratings, that may or may not be correct.

One thing for certain... I can hardly wait to have my windows installed and forget all about these values.

PS: My homework is done, please grade it... :D

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

We have done work in CT but it was for family.

I would love to travel and take care of the project but can't manage that distance just yet.

Hopefully if you talk to me in a year and change we will have another office open up north.

tom77

#14 Post by tom77 »

My choice between Ideal and Okna pay the $50.00 more if that is the case for the Okna window I looked up the warranty on Ideal and I hope you do not live near the water. The installer on the Island for Ideal has a lot issues with BBB

ablak

#15 Post by ablak »

No, I don't live near water, so that would not be an issue.

Construction wise, are the Okna 500 series windows just as well made as the Okna 800 series? Other than the quoted values that is. The former one would be around $450 per windows installed, that has a higher "VT" value. Since I'd want more light coming in, it would be more suitable for my needs. Having it cheaper than the Ideal windows, or the Okna 800 series, seems to make the 500 series the right choice.

Any thoughts on that?

Plus the 500 series has an integrating railing to pull up the window, that I like.

Unfortunately, WoW will be a year late and I am out of seven grands by that time. That's too bad...