Window install

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tom77

Window install

#1 Post by tom77 »

6 double hung windows being put in to window opening by a contractor. The windows have 1 1/2 inches of space 3/4 inch on each side. My Question should the windows be redone with that much space.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window install

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tom,

Depends on how out of square the openings were.

3/4" is a bit on the large side of margin when it comes to leaving room for shimming, squaring, and insulating.

Not at all uncommon on doors given the framer's idea of "exact size" but the doors are also more relegated to standard sizes.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

If there's a consistent ¾ inch opening down the sides, the windows are not properly sized. If there's ¾" at the bottom or top and ⅛" at the other end, it's an issue of squareness as WoW said.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Tom
You seem to be a very skeptical guy. Perhaps you may want to purchase windows from a local home center and do the install on your own. Getting an unsuspecting contractor with the best of intentions involved with your project will probably be something the contractor is going to regret for a long time.
These guys work hard and with all the expenses with owning a business, they have enough on their plate. Lets not make it worse for them.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Is this a new construction installed into a true rough opening, or a pocket insert type of install? What type of windows were removed? Wood, aluminum, vinyl?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As DE Mike ask, we need more info to make a proper eval.
What were the conversations before the install. Are the new windows stock sizes.
Do you have before during and after photos? Plus the rest of Mike's questions.

TheWindowNerd...

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. If this is a pocket replacement that is very excessive in most cases. If full tear-out, it is more manageable, but still could be a little bit much. The main thing is that the nail fin has sufficient coverage over the RO for purposes of securing the unit (only applies to full frame).

tom77

#8 Post by tom77 »

I am trying to spend a lot of time choosing the best window i can buy within my budget, Today I been to two Distributors both out of business. Masterext says I should do the work myself. The premium windows are not sold to the homeowner. I am going to a home show this weekend. Masterext seems like I guy who wants the homeowner to have very liitle knowledge of what is going on. The windows that were put in 30 years ago were state of the art but the contractor screwed up the install. This is the United States and I have a right to no as much as I can about how the proper way to install a window and the best window I feel I can buy. Excuse me if I am little upset about a post on this page.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Forgive me for asking Tom, but what is the status of your project? It sounds like you are still in the process of choosing, but then the question in this thread sounds like the project is underway?
Forgive masterext for being blunt. I won't speak for him, but I believe the thought is that the time for vetting and scrutiny is in the phase of choosing product and the contractor, discussing and choosing the installation procedures (and getting them in writing!) and then trusting your choice to do a good job. Picking the cheapest guy on the block (referencing your other thread) and THEN watching over his every move like a hawk after the fact could be counter-productive. That is not to say that you are not entitled to get a great job or to watch your installers, ask questions, etc, --you are--just that there is a line that can be crossed from time to time. Personally I have never had a problem with a client watching me work as much or as little as they want, however typically carpenters and window installers are not in this business because of their gleaming personality, and could get rubbed the wrong way. Please do not take offense to that, just offering some clarification and/or perspective from the other side of the fence. After all, the most desirable result for all parties involved is an excellent finished product where everybody is happy. :D
Last edited by HomeSealed on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

double post

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Some pictures of both sides of the installed window may help get better answers.
I hate it when I need to ask for help and am met with critisism, some things are better left unsaid.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Based on the post, he is observing 30 year old windows, which sounds like to me that he is looking at RO vs unit size.
When a home is built some times the windows that are spec'd for the project are not selected but the RO are already there, the HO may have selected a better or different product than what was originally planned for. It does not normally happen like that, but it happens enough.
So back to your basic question, if you are doing a new prime window, The RO should typically be 3/4" bigger than the frame size. Sometimes when we are replacing existing wood windows with clad wood windows and the stock size offered is a little smaller than what we would like we offer the HO the choice of stock sizes with the savings or special sizes that fit more closely.
Insert replacements are normally measured much tighter and is installer specific for tolerance, but I would say the norm is 3/8" wiggle room.

tom77

#13 Post by tom77 »

The windows that are in my house are replacement vinyl windows. The original windows were aluminum. I believe but am not positive the flange on the aluminum was cut off and left there. I have 1 inch pine board on top and the two sides and then the replacement window was installed.
The window guy that does the work on my house, I would just make sure the windows were measured right and fit into the opening like there are supposed to. I also would like the windows measured to the original opening without the pine board.

I could also do the work myself if I had to. We are talking about 6 windows.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tom,

Post up some pictures when you get a chance. Easier to visualize that way.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

That was a method of retro fitting flanged units, I never used it because I did not see the need.
They would line the verticals and head with 1x6 to give a place to attach capping and an easy way to attach window to the opening. So... you would lose additional VG due to the 1.5" wood in the with and 3/4" in the height.
Since you have a "window guy" he should be able to explain and explore the proper sizing with you.
All of this would have been much simpler to explain had you provided all the info at once.

theWindowNerd.com