Super spacer low e glass

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tom77

Super spacer low e glass

#1 Post by tom77 »

I would like to no what type of super spacer is used in premium windows for the north east. The other question on Low E glass. The more coatings on the panes of glass the darker the window and I am confused with the solar heat gain. In the winter the sun is at a different angle and is suppose to let more sun into your house. When I look out my rear patio door in the morning in the winter the sun comes up a lot more to the south and in the summer it comes up a lot more to the north. I do not see a different angle.

Windows on Washington

Re: Super spacer low e glass

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tom,

Can you elaborate a bit more on your questions.

tom77

#3 Post by tom77 »

I been reading about super spacers, metal spaces decrease the performance of the glass non metal spaces are supposed to be better. I think but I am not sure some manufactures can use different spaces for the warmer climates.

The more coatings of low E the darker the window and I am concerned on my southern and western exposed windows in the winter time losing the warmth of the sun.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tom,

Where is the home located?

Ideally, regardless of climate, a non-metallic spacer will provide superior performance and edge of glass condensation resistance.

Oberon

#5 Post by Oberon »

Tom,

All LowE coatings improve the overall U value of windows.

There are different types of LowE coatings depending on whether you want high solar gain or low solar gain.

Most window manufacturers tend to consider U value performance as a lot more important than solar heat gain so that they will pick the coating that has the best U value numbers; but the LowE coatings with the best U value also have the lowest solar gain numbers.

The window professionals who post here are very well aware of the various LowE options, but I suspect that very few window companies discuss solar heat gain options when people are buying LowE coated windows.

Per spacers, superspacer is the brand name for a foamed silicone /mylar/acrylic spacer system. There are actually five different variations of the superspacer product available.

Many window companies offer different spacer options but that is primarily for price versus performance considerations rather than geography, at least that I am aware of.

Per metallic versus non-metallic spacers, the non-metallic spacers will have better edge temperature performance, and it can be significant depending on the particular metallic spacer used, however for comparison, Cardinal's newest stainless spacer has a warmer edge than at least one of the superspacer options and it's less than 1° "colder" at the edge than the very best of the superspacer products.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As Oberon shared stainless steel spacers are nearly or as good as foam spacers.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 Oberon.

Didn't mean to slight the XLEdge with that non-metallic disclaimer.

I would put anything that Cardinal does right along side with any other premium glass manufacturer.

Oberon

#8 Post by Oberon »

Windows on Washington wrote:+1 Oberon.

Didn't mean to slight the XLEdge with that non-metallic disclaimer.

I would put anything that Cardinal does right along side with any other premium glass manufacturer.
Not a slight when it's true, the non-metal spacers are warmer than metal at the edge and that does translate into less condensation.

The best Superspacer product is about 2 1/2° warmer than the XL. In most instances that isn't a big deal, but it can make a difference in some circumstances such as when it is well below zero, or when using a surface 4 coating, for examples.

Since Cardinal originated the surface 4 coating, and since XL was developed over 20 years ago, they decided they needed a new spacer that would have the longevity of the XL but with better thermal characteristics.

The new spacer is called Endur and it is still being transitioned thru the Cardinal IG facilities - it isn't available everywhere yet.

The Endur is about 2° warmer than XL and, based on accelerated testing, should be just as durable as the XL - meaning about .2% failure rate over 20 years and a predicted .5% over 50 years.

Cardinal predicted that XL would have about .25% failure over 20 years when introduced in 1993 and it turned out have a little lower failure rate than originally predicted.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Woot...Woot on new developments :D :D

Oberon

#10 Post by Oberon »

Windows on Washington wrote:Woot...Woot on new developments :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There are a lot of new developments on the horizon.

I am going to predict that the next few years may change our thinking about glass and window options. There are some really cool ideas and I think that some of those are going to be part of the new window reality.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Well...you better stick around to explain it to the rest of dummies then... :lol:

Oberon

#12 Post by Oberon »

:lol:

First I need to learn how they work!