Double Hung balancing system

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tom77

Double Hung balancing system

#1 Post by tom77 »

Spiral, block & tackle, and constant force are the three types used to open and close double hung windows. The premium windows use what type system?. The constant force is like a spring loaded and the effort to open and close the window in the sash is constant. What happens when the window will not stay open is there a way to tighten the spring. The other thing I do not like about the constant force, the inside window does not go up all the way, there is vinyl plug that stops the window from doing that. The plug can be taken out but that leaves a hole in the sash.

Windows on Washington

Re: Double Hung balancing system

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Spiral is an absolute NO - NO!

Constant force and Block and tackle are both great.

I think the Block and Tackle is a bit smoother and it is definitely less susceptible to dirt and the operational issues that creates in constant force.

There are adjustment pins on the balance clutches from time to time but that should not be an issue if the balance is set and the window is well built.

HomeSealed

Re: Double Hung balancing system

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.
B&T and constant force are 1a and 1b. My own preference would give a slight nod to B&T as being a little bit more "heavy duty", less susceptible to dirt etc as WoW alluded to, and MUCH easier to service if they need to be replaced. I'm not crazy about the adjustment method on the CF style either, as it typically consists of a set screw inserted into the plastic case of the balance, which spreads the case open thereby creating more friction. Kinda hokey IMO... Those are fairly minor quibbles though. Both are proven operators.