Trying to decide between options available in my area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
leennp

Trying to decide between options available in my area

#1 Post by leennp »

I need some help looking at the options for vinyl replacement windows in my area and just found this site, thought would be the place to ask. We have 21 single pane aluminum windows currently in a house we are remodeling to live in. Some do not open, some do not lock, plus then we have the thermal issues. I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, so hot and humid most of year, but not coastal so don't need impact glass or anything. Have been totally confused by the window replacement industry in trying to find out just what is available here as ofter you must submit your info to manufacturer, then I never hear back. Tried to find the brands most often talked about on GardenWeb first with little success. SO my options that I can find here are Wincore 7700 through a very highly rated installation company so should be very good install. NT presidential through a company a lot of builders order from, but I am able to find out very little about install. Alside Mezza is another option, but window is newer and can't even see sample. Last option I have is Marvin Integrity, which I know is not vinyl, but I am considering it, however the quote for that is about 19K which is a little high for the budget. Since everyone who sells a different line gives me a different answer about why their window is better, having a hard time with this. Any insight on my choices?

Windows on Washington

Re: Trying to decide between options available in my area

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is PGT around in those parts as well?

I recognize your post from the GardenWeb as well.

My feedback on the WinCore is the same as before. Solid window but just okay in terms of performance by comparison to the the unavailable windows in your region. Obviously that doesn't help much but still the truth.

If the install company is really that well regarded, I don't have any real hang ups with you going that route at the end of the day. WinCore is a solid company and they built quite a monster in the Simonton brand so there is no reason to suspect they aren't using the same good policies and brand building at the new place.

leennp

#3 Post by leennp »

Thanks for responding W on W, I recognize the name from garden web as well. I have looked and not found PGT. But this whole replacement window business is very confusing, it is hard to figure out who carries and installs what window, and usually I get a sales pitch on how poor aluminum windows are. I fully know that and get frustrated when I can not just find out the name of the window line they are selling and installing so I can do some research before wasting anyones time on measurements. I tried to find Simonton in the area, from the Simonton website, they only list Home Depot as dealer, which does not give me much confidence in the install. Through this entire home remodel, I have vowed to never go back to home depot, I truly believe they make money despite themselves, scary how would be with good customer service. But not sure even going that route would open up more models of Simonton that would have better performance. How about the NT Presidiential, is it worth looking at due to the sash reinforcement they have? I am guess should skip the Alside brand altogether after a few more reviews. I have tried twice through Sunrise to find a dealer, they give me the regional rep, say to contact him and I never get a response. SO the mid grade vinyl used by Wincore is ok for this area of country? Have been leery of the Plygem/Jelwin products at lowes so did not go that route.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Wincore is fine and the installer is well regarded...even better.