Window newbie

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Ps6fsu

Window newbie

#1 Post by Ps6fsu »

Hey guys, I am new to the site and have been reading a ton and want to first say thanks to everyone who contributes. It is a great resource for people like me.

I bought a house a few years ago in Delaware with builders grade windows that are now in pretty bad shape and need replacing. Many of the windows are installed so badly that they either cannot open all the way or if opened the top levers no longer contact the track to hold them in. One of my window sashes fell and broke because of this.

I am in a situation where we will be relocating in 3 to 4 years so I don't want to spend a ton on windows to then give to someone else. However, I am not looking to just buy the cheapest windows out there. After reading these forums I decided to get an estimate for Simontons and Oknas. I received one estimate from HD for both the VantagePointe 6100s and the 6500s. I am scheduled for an estimate with a local contractor Thursday and plan to get a price on the 5500s as we'll. I am trying to get an estimate for Oknas but not having any luck. I don't really want to go the HD route due to varying results based on unknown installers. But I needed a starting point. I need 9 double hung windows installed. All are 35x58 or smaller except for 1 double 35x58. I guess my question is what are some good mid range windows I should look at that would present the best value. HD quote was a bit higher than expected at around 700 a window.

Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window newbie

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What kind of windows do you have currently?

Where in Delaware are you located?

Ps6fsu

#3 Post by Ps6fsu »

Thanks for the response. I'm located in New Castle, DE. Not sure what windows we have now. I do not see anything on them denoting make or model. They are vinyl though. The house was built in 1999 if that helps. I did fill out a price request form and now getting a few companies contacting me that make their own window i guess? Got a call from Castle Windows and Majestic Home Remodeling in Cherry Hill, NJ area.

After doing some more reading I did find alot of other posters asking something similar. I don't want to be "that guy" asking for info that is readily available. It seems the favorite mid range windows to look at are:

Simonton 5500
Okna 400/500
Polaris Ultraweld
Soft-Lite Imperial LS

With others mentioning Restorations, Sunrise, and Gorell.

Maybe some of these are out of my price range and can be eliminated. I guess I was looking for some advice as to which of the above mentioned should be the least expensive. Any savings would allow me to purchase the sliders a bit sooner. I hate to sound cheap but I just want to make sure i do my research to get the best window i can afford. I am currently calling local installers that use windows mentioned above.
Last edited by Ps6fsu on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ps6fsu

#4 Post by Ps6fsu »

I probably should have posted some additional information to clarify.

As far as needs/wants go, Its tough to clarify. Right now i would just like windows without fog between panes that can move up and down freely. That being said, energy saving is an obvious goal and any sound masking qualities would be a plus but not a deal breaker (my house backs to a highway).

I have 9 windows to be replaced as well as 2 sliding doors but the doors may need to be phase 2. I don't have the money for both right now. The sliders at least operate as they should. Here is a list of the windows in my home with rough dimensions. All have the white 3x2 grid between the panes.

H x W (Qty) - Location
37 x 36 - Over Sink
37 x 59 - Living Room
73 x 59 - looks like two 35 x 59's together
25 x 44 (2) - Bathrooms
35 x 59 (4) - Bedrooms

Sliders
60 x 79 (2)

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

What kind of windows currently..? i.e. wood, vinyl, metal, etc?

Ps6fsu

#6 Post by Ps6fsu »

Single hung Vinyl

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

There is a pro on this board that goes by the name "delaware mike", he is an outstanding window contractor and offers some of the higher end brands. Do a board search of his name and then click his contact button.

Ps6fsu

#8 Post by Ps6fsu »

masterext wrote:There is a pro on this board that goes by the name "delaware mike", he is an outstanding window contractor and offers some of the higher end brands. Do a board search of his name and then click his contact button.
Thanks masterext. Saw him contributing in other posts. Clearly knows his stuff. I don't see a "contact" option for him though.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Ps6,
Regarding pricing, it is impossible to say how that will fall as it will vary from dealer to dealer. In one area you may have a Softilite dealer higher than an Okna dealer, and in another area vice-versa. Only way to find out is to get estimates.
You are on the right track in terms of products, although Simonton doesn't quite hit the same level of performance as say an Okna 500 series or SL Imperial LS.
If Delaware Mike sees this this perhaps he'll get his "Get a Quote" button turned on. EXCELLENT guy. A true craftsman as I'm sure that you've gathered by his posts.

Ps6fsu

#10 Post by Ps6fsu »

HomeSealed wrote:Ps6,
Regarding pricing, it is impossible to say how that will fall as it will vary from dealer to dealer. In one area you may have a Softilite dealer higher than an Okna dealer, and in another area vice-versa. Only way to find out is to get estimates.
You are on the right track in terms of products, although Simonton doesn't quite hit the same level of performance as say an Okna 500 series or SL Imperial LS.
If Delaware Mike sees this this perhaps he'll get his "Get a Quote" button turned on. EXCELLENT guy. A true craftsman as I'm sure that you've gathered by his posts.
Thanks home sealed. I appreciate the feedback. My whole direction has changed since reading these forums. I'm scheduled to get 2 estimates on Thursday for Simonton, Okna, and Restorations brands.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

I have contacted the board regarding getting my "Get A Quote" button back up. They aren't available to fix this as of right now and there is a glitch in the system with the automated system. Sorry. I lived in New Castle for 15-years prior to jumping back over the the other side of the bridge in Jersey, thus I have many projects all over the county with the product lines that you're looking at.

I know the local dealer that does the OKNA/Restoration line. His number one sales rep is real good friend of mine and I actually purchased my house from him.

Ps6fsu

#12 Post by Ps6fsu »

Thanks for the reply Mike. Would that be Advance you are referring to?

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

Yes. Pretty good outfit over there. Got to watch out sometimes for sales reps/managers/owners that don't study the industry as much as those of us on the boards do as one of the fellows over there claimed that my Sunrise Vanguard was a "re-labeled" Essentials line. I'm still a little hot over that one as his ignorance cost me a large job when the homeowners wound up with lesser of a window than I was giving them at a higher cost.

Ps6fsu

#14 Post by Ps6fsu »

Thanks for the heads up. I will meet with them Friday morning as well as MW Roofing. They were the closest Simonton dealer to me listed on the Simonton website.

Delaware Mike

#15 Post by Delaware Mike »

The outfits Like Castle and Majestic, which are two that I know well will not install a true new construction window. Neither will Blue or Orange. They will cut the fin and leave it in and jump a smaller window into the drywall returns and atop your interior stool cap, then run shoe molding to the interior and some sort of basic L cap from the new window behind the j-channel. Castle might even cut back the siding and place trim boards up and caulk the heck out of everything with silicone.

The right way to do this would be to drop siding around the area of the window and install a flanged new construction window to AAMA Installation Masters standards utilizing high quality sill and flashing tape along with accessing the WRB situation.

A good fit for a budget given that you plan on selling might be the OKNA 5500 or the Soft-Lite Pro with the welded integral nailing flange but no built in j-channel since the installers would potentially be re-hanging your already field cut lengths of vinyl siding? Is your house sided with vinyl?