Window newbie

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Ps6fsu

Re: Window newbie

#16 Post by Ps6fsu »

Yes, I have vinyl siding. So I guess I will have to get those installation details in writing before making any decision.

Ps6fsu

#17 Post by Ps6fsu »

So Mike's reply got me thinking so i took a good look at the windows from inside and out. There are no visible screws or nails anywhere so i would assume the window is being held in strictly by the nailing fin... which is behind the j channel. So what is a "standard install" consist of? I would assume cutting the nailing fin off from the inside? Not sure how you would even do that. Then how would it be finished on the outside? I dont see how this is done without removing shutters, siding, and j channel to remove the existing window. Otherwise, I would need to remove interior trim, remove the drywall that buts up against the window to gain access to the back of the fin to cut it.
2014-04-22 10.27.37.jpg
Outside View
(114.85 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
2014-04-22 10.26.50.jpg
Inside View
(105.07 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Drywall removed.jpg
Drywall removed
(40.11 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

Can you post up another pic or two from the exterior, perhaps slightly farther back? It looks like you may have some trim cladding on there already.

The "quick and easy" way that Delaware Mike described would be to cut the nail fin off from the exterior(not the interior), and then install a fin-less window. This is a technically legit install method, however it does not provide nearly the protection that reinstalling a finned window would. I'm with him in recommending against that. Personally, I'm partial to the siding cutback with proper flashing, but the complete siding removal is probably the absolute best method if you can afford it.
Generally, I only recommend the fin cut-off method if the fins are inaccessible behind some brick or other masonry.

Ps6fsu

#19 Post by Ps6fsu »

Not sure if you can tell from these pics or not. Its tough to take a clear picture when you have to resize to less than 250k.

I was afraid you were going to say what you did. This could get pretty expensive I guess. Roughly, what should I expect the cost increase to be per window to install this way (instead of the easy method)? I bet some of the contractors I will deal with won't even want to do the job if this is the case.
20140422_141320-25.jpg
(195.74 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
20140422_141119-25.jpg
(187.18 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

Ps6fsu

#20 Post by Ps6fsu »

Nevermind. I just saw your reply to a similar question here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5984

Looks like you said about an additional $150 to $200 each. Ouch!

HomeSealed

#21 Post by HomeSealed »

Ps6fsu wrote:Nevermind. I just saw your reply to a similar question here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5984

Looks like you said about an additional $150 to $200 each. Ouch!
That's a ballpark, could vary by installer. If you are removing siding, expect to pay a price per square/ per sq ft for that.
Definitely not cheap, but it is the proper way to do it and it will be far less likely to introduce water infiltration (referring to a finned installation).

Ps6fsu

#22 Post by Ps6fsu »

Delaware Mike wrote:I have contacted the board regarding getting my "Get A Quote" button back up. They aren't available to fix this as of right now and there is a glitch in the system with the automated system. Sorry. I lived in New Castle for 15-years prior to jumping back over the the other side of the bridge in Jersey, thus I have many projects all over the county with the product lines that you're looking at.

I know the local dealer that does the OKNA/Restoration line. His number one sales rep is real good friend of mine and I actually purchased my house from him.

Mike, Do you mind telling me the name of your buddy at Advance? I am meeting with them tomorrow and would like to know it if I am talking to him. I understand if you don't.