Casement/Awning window questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
drichardson

Casement/Awning window questions

#1 Post by drichardson »

I am the owner of an 1953 ranch house in Iowa City, IA. About 15 years ago I replaced some rotting Pella wood awning windows in the bedrooms with Pella aluminum clad Pro-Line windows (because they fit the existing openings perfectly). Now the replacement windows that have no protecting overhang have rotted out but the ones with overhang appear to be OK. I only want to replace the rotten windows so I now have a problem with matching where the windows meet at the corner of the house. But I also have to install a casement somewhere in the opening to satisfy egress rules for bedrooms. To keep the ribbon look of the existing windows as much as possible I plan to put the casement at the opposite end of the opening from the corner and fill in the rest of the opening with a sealed unit. The Pellas are 25" high with a glass opening of 19.75". I'm having a difficult time finding a vinyl window from the manufactures that you recommend that have that large of a glass height. The Soft-Lite LS only has 18.5" for a 25" window. I don't think Okna is available here. The only dealer I found for Sunrise is extremely expensive and I'm not sure if their opening is any larger either. Do you any suggestions where I should look? A lumber store here sells Hayfield and the glass height matches Pella pretty well. The few references to Hayfield on this board haven't been very positive but I wonder if they will be OK since one will be a sealed unit and the other a casement which may not have as many problems as double-hung. Sorry this has been so long but any input would be appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Casement/Awning window questions

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Look at fiberglass options as well.

Try the Marvin Integrity.

drichardson

#3 Post by drichardson »

The lumber store that sells Hayfield also sells Marvin Integrity so I've priced them already and they are about double but I wonder if they are that much better. I already have Marvin Integrity double-hung in another area of the house and while they have held up fine they leak a lot of air and I wouldn't recommend them in that style. I don't think they have as good air-infiltration numbers as Hayfield even in the casement style.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

First off, are these awning windows located at ground level or above grade? Ground level windows only require 5.0 sqft to be legal where the others need to be 5.7 sqft. Have you always had an egress window in this spot? If not are you absolutely sure your required to make this upgrade. In most cases your grandfathered in because your house was built before the Egress Code was passed. I totally understand if your making this upgrade personally to protect your family members. I'm a Firefighter and always support this upgrade. I'd check with the local Fire Inspector to clarify.
Just so I understand better what your trying to accomplish please explain what your trying to do. I'm lost with your "Ribbon Effect" statement. From what I get out of it is (Example)- Your North and South side have a soffit protecting the windows. Your East and West side are gabled ends that don't have that protection. So where the corners meet you have a great North window but the West side is bad. Meaning you have the old school windows in each side of the corner walls. Just trying to paint the proverbial picture!

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

The 5.0 square feet rule applies to windows with a sill height no more than 44'' above or below grade.The sill height is usually where the clear opening on the window begins, but I have seen inspectors go by the height of the sill itself. The egress rules can be complex and are often misinterpreted by inspectors. I'd check with your building inspector instead of the fire inspector unless this is a commercial building or something licensed by the State.
You should be alright with the Hayfield, their double-hungs have the undesirable pocket sill.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

The Egress code is in the Fire Code. The egress code was established for firefighters because of the fatalities caused by small window openings. It's also code that the building inspector can not enforce the fire code! Unless he is licensed by the municipality to do both. That's why it's better to talk with the Fire Inspector on these issues.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

The egress code in the fire code is different than what is in the building code. The building code is more strict therefore should be the one followed. Typically a building inspector is going to be the only one inspecting egress, especially in a owner occupied house.