Opinions on Vytex Prodigy/Fortis v. Sunrise v. Okna 800/500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Doug

Opinions on Vytex Prodigy/Fortis v. Sunrise v. Okna 800/500

#1 Post by Doug »

Hi, I am new to the board, but looking for up to date opinions on these three windows- which would you recommend and why. I am replacing 16 double hung windows (40 year old single pane wood) and have gotten 3 estimates from 3 reputable installers in Metro DC. Most of the conventional wisdom seems to favor Okna 800 above others, with Sunrise maybe edging out Vytex for second. But most of this seems to be driven almost solely by specs/performance, which to me (especially when considering the level of change for any of them compared to my current) seem almost identical- U factor between .25 and .29, and AI between .01 and .05. Still waiting for a price from Windows on Washington for the Okna, but Unicorp's price on 16 DH and 1 large picture in Vytex Prodigy (same specs as Fortis) was $9,900, while the Sunrise "U12" from American Windows are $11,000. The thing that has me really leaning to the Vytex is the look- with a beveled sash design, these looked substantially more like a wood window to my eye than either of the others, which just look like flat white plastic.

Really appreciate anything else I should be considering in making the selection, and any opinions about installers from anyone in the DC area with knowledge of them. I was pleasantly surprised by all three presentations, and they are all very well reviewed on Angie's List. Thanks!

bgbrock

Re: Opinions on Vytex Prodigy/Fortis v. Sunrise v. Okna 800/500

#2 Post by bgbrock »

The OKNA 800 will have the rounded edges on the sashes to give the window more of a look of a wood window. Additionally, the OKNA will provide the best overall thermal performance of the three windows you are considering.

Opinions on installers - you had one of the best contractors there for a quote - Windows on Washington. One of the many contractors held in high regards here on the forum.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 on the Okna 800 and on Windows on Washington. Superb outfit.
I'd put the Sunrise standard at a distant #2, followed by the Vytex Fortis on my own list. The Vanguard or Restorations would be a better comparison.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Can't disagree with the other guys. Okna is going to give you the best ratings and Windows on Washington is the company I would want installing my windows in that area. While there may be other companies that do a fine job as well, I am extremely confident that WoW will meet and exceed your expectations while ensuring your new windows perform to their potential.

Doug

#5 Post by Doug »

bgbrock, HomeSealed, and Randy- Thanks very much for taking the time to respond- your perspectives and information were very helpful. Thanks!