Softlite quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Amily

Softlite quote

#1 Post by Amily »

We have a quote for softlite elements that is over $1k per window installed. We do like the windows, but we've found plenty of people online discussing quotes much lower than that. Should it be that high? (Double glass, argon, none of the bells and whistles). Is it worth trying to negotiate the price if they are the only one in the area with Elements? Is it assumed we'll negotiate, so that price is padded?

I don't think we have Okna here, but we do have Marvin and most of the others. What else would be a comparable window to Elements?

Thanks!

HomeSealed

Re: Softlite quote

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Where are you located? That will dictate what you have available... In high performance vinyl, some competitive options would be the aforementioned Okna, Restoration and Vanguard by Sunrise, Quantum 2 by Kensington, and a few others. Marvin is great if you are looking at wood windows, however there is a major trade-off in performance for beauty.
Regarding the pricing, I would say that it is on the higher side of the spectrum to be sure, but it also depends on all of the installation details, options, etc. For a white, pocket replacement with double pane glass, it does sound high for my area.

Amily

#3 Post by Amily »

Oh sorry! We are in the KC, MO area.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

That a pretty high price on that window configuration, unless there are some extreme installation details. I'd recommend looking for a Soft-lite Imperial LS dealer. It's a very close comparison to the Elements. You might also look for a Sunrise dealer who sells their Restorations or Vanguard line.

If at the end of the process you prefer the Elements window you'll be in a stronger position to negotiate with the original company, if that's how they operate.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree look for an LS dealer.

theWindowNerd.c..

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Elements is certainly a world beater in terms of performance. I would think that they would be in a triple pane option at that number but the cost of doing business ranges by market.

The other models that HomeSealed mentioned are good options as well.

Kbart

#7 Post by Kbart »

I just got a quote from soft Lite Elements two days ago in New Haven County CT. It was for the the triple pane argon glass package (krypton triple pane and not offered by this Co.)

I had a quote for 18 openings, 17 windows 100 IU double hung and one standard 6 foot slider.
The total quote was for $20,000 buy today, higher if you buy later $23,000. with in a 30 days, 26,000. if I buy with in a year. Sorry, I was so disappointed in the price, I did not even ask the seperate price of the slider. However, I would guess the slider to be about $3000.00 leaving me at about $1000.00 per window.

I would try getting a quote from one of the other windows recommended and play the estimate off that. However, I to am having a hard time finding a comparable window to Elements.

I have not tracked down a SL LS dealer but I have read good things on it.

I have research the Soft Lite Pro extencivly and believe it is a good window too even though we are sort of lead to question it. I did get a quote for the Soft Lite pro window for $297.00 per window + installation $150.00 per window + an up graded glass package of triple pane glass with krypton gas $183.00 per window + $15.00 per window for the extended glass warranty = a total of $645 per window. The NFRA ratings for the soft lite pro with the Ultimate glass triple pane super spacer and krypton package are nearly equal to the Elements, perhaps even better than the glass package you and I were offered.

A slider is not included here. Total window installation for the SL Pro is about $11,000.

bgbrock

#8 Post by bgbrock »

The total quote was for $20,000 buy today, higher if you buy later $23,000. with in a 30 days, 26,000. if I buy with in a year.
I absolutely love this kind of selling!! My stock reply to this type of sales person is-

"how does $0 sound to you??? That is precisely what you are going to make off this job!" (as I am showing him or her out the front door)

Kbart

#9 Post by Kbart »

lol, well that is about how it went

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Within reason, it is not uncommon to see some buy now incentives.

As long as they are done ethically and not used as a means to over pressure a decision, I don't find issue with them any longer.

We have folks that are in the midst of a well thought out research process and want all the information they can get so they can sort through the details. We have folks that make buying decisions more than a year after the fact. Should they expect to complete he project for the same price that was issued some length ago?

I can tell you that materials have gone up in the last couple of months, not to mention the last couple of years.

As long as it was not an abhorrent discount (i.e. 30% or something like that), it can be representative of what they might expect to pay in the future.

10% is not at all uncommon for a materials price increase over the course of a year.