Replacement Windows Options

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
croaker24

Replacement Windows Options

#1 Post by croaker24 »

Hi -

I selected 3 top-rated vendors from Angies List, and just finished with the last of them providing a bid. It basically boiled down to this:

Okna 500 - $550/window
Preservation Reserved - $450/window
Alside Mezzo - $450/window

My research has indicated that the Okna is the better quality window, and basically, the other two options are more middle of the road mass production types, but is the Okna worth the extra $100 per window? The Okna guy was slightly pushy, indicating that the price was a "sales" price only good through the month of May, in which case the price would go up to $625/window, but with the caveat that future sales were likely :roll:

But in general none of them were hard sell - so I would be comfortable probably with all. The Okna and Preservation folks were 2 years labor, while the Alside labor was lifetime. Essentially it comes down to whether it is worth the extra $2000 for the Okna windows.

Thanks,
JDT

HomeSealed

Re: Replacement Windows Options

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd take the Okna 100 times out of 100. Superior in every measurable area.
Very fair price too.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Okna is superior to Alside and worth the additional $100.00 per window. It's a one and done window.

croaker24

#4 Post by croaker24 »

Thanks for the replies.

Where do you draw a line between the cost per window as per the differential between the Okna and the other windows? With the $100 different - we are looking at about $2000-$2200 more - at what point is the difference simply is not going to be a good ROI?

Could you elucidate on the specifics as to why the Okna is the better window?

Thanks,
Jeff

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I have to agree with Homesealed regarding the OKNA 500 over the Mezzo. I've personally checked out the Mezzo and while it's an okay product, I much prefer the 3-point weatherstripping on the sashes of the OKNA along with the Duralite non-metal composite spacer. The exterior frame detail is much nicer on the 500 as is the screen and glazing beads. Foam filling is standard with the 500dx while it's not even an option with Alside. The sash tilt actuators on the Alside are very generic and are the same ones that all super low-grade seem to have. The OKNA 500/800 actuators actually add to the appearance of the windows. When handling the 500/800 windows one will fell how well constructed they are.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Jeff,

I am going to quote one of the posters on here who summed it up really well if you ask me...

"Only a rich person can afford to buy cheap windows"

The Mezzo, while a great improvement over the Excalibur, still is questionable on its vinyl thickness and overall lifecycle projections.

I have had enough windows from Alside installed with failed sashes and bowed frames that I have to really, really see a great long track record from that window before I would recommend it (even at $100 less per unit).

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You ask and you get four very experienced in both product and installation that all give you the same advice.
None of them is getting anything out of the deal.
All four tend to be the most objective and honest guys I know, I have sat down and had meals and talked shop with each of them. Honest to goodness you will not find a better group to get advice from. So listen carefully.

theWindowNerd.c..

croaker24

#8 Post by croaker24 »

WindowNerd -

I am definitely listening. I am cautious about spending this money and want the job done right the first time. I had planned to talk to the Okna contractor again to get some more details on the project.

My question would be: why would the other contractors - who from all accounts appear to be very solid companies with good reputations, offer a more inferior window?

Best,
Jeff

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

croaker24 wrote:WindowNerd -

I am definitely listening. I am cautious about spending this money and want the job done right the first time. I had planned to talk to the Okna contractor again to get some more details on the project.

My question would be: why would the other contractors - who from all accounts appear to be very solid companies with good reputations, offer a more inferior window?

Best,
Jeff
It is widely available and inexpensive.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Jeff,

The answer has less to do with the contractors and more to do with the customers.

Most customers have such crappy windows that when you put in a new replacement unit, it looks like the best thing since sliced bread and the instantaneous feedback and quality improvement is notable.

Most clients only pay attention to initial quality and this is why Consumer Reports rates certain windows (that we as pros know to be garbage) so highly.

Most contractors choosing the products aren't much further ahead of the window technology and long term performance power curve than your average consumer. This usually nets a product selection process that is based on price, availability, and ease of access.

The guys and gals that are selling the higher end units have done their research and usually gone through an exhaustive process (by comparison) to get access to the better windows.

Hope this helps.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

Pretty simple. Most contractors are clueless when it comes to quality and to them, finding the cheapest products for their customers is paramount. This enables them to come in at a cheaper price and gives them a much higher probability at getting the job; most customers only focus on price. This strategy obviously worked on you..lol

croaker24

#12 Post by croaker24 »

I saw the Consumer Reports review on replacement windows, and wondered how relevant the review could be unless those windows were left in place for the long-term, and assessed say at 5 years, 10 years, etc. While I like Consumer Reports, you do have to be a little skeptical of some of the reviews pertaining to some things when it comes to long-term usage.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

Consumer Reports is extremely biased for a variety of reasons and no professionals ever take their rankings seriously. Additionally ,they only rate windows that are available in retail outlets such as home depot, alside, and local hardware stores. They do NOT look at higher end windows that arent available in stores. This excludes all the higher quality windows such as okna, soft lite, sunrise, kensington, and the others.
Every pro that answered your post basically said the same thing about alside and despite this, you are still considering them????? A bit at a loss with that.

croaker24

#14 Post by croaker24 »

Whos Nellie. Still considering them? Not really - I am pretty much set on the Okna. Before spending that kind of $$$ - I sure am going to be absolutely certain that I am making the best possible decision, which is why I keep looking at all angles. If I had said I was for the Okna from the very start, I would not have gotten the tenor of replies here I don't think: everyone would just say - "OK I agree, good decision" without the bits of supporting information.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

No worries croaker, Masterext is just very passionate about his craft as you can see. :D
Good info to help you in making a decision in this thread. We see a lot of people come through the boards here that want to buy a low-priced product and are looking for affirmation of that purchase, however the old adage of "you get what you pay" ends up being accurate more times than not. It sounds like you are on the right track.