Newbie poster here:

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
oldberkeley

Newbie poster here:

#1 Post by oldberkeley »

We live in Columbus, Ohio, and there is a bewildering amount of window companies and installers around, almost too many!

We just bought a small ranch house with 7 1950's-type aluminum windows. We want to replace them with white vinyl, nothing fancy but not pricey either, just reasonably priced mid-range windows.

We had a company come in and give us a quote for Bainbridge LE Thermo-Vinyl windows. I looked at the Window Review section and did not see them listed.

Any feedback on them would be appreciated, TIA.

Delaware Mike

Re: Newbie poster here:

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Should be Soft-Lite's upgraded Bainbridge Luxury Edition (LE). One of the models that I used to install and is a very decent mid-grade product. They took the older Bainbridge and added comfort foam to the chambers (injected low-expansion foam), fiberglass meeting rail sash reinforcement and bottom sash reinforcement. I like the locks, narrow line sash and frame profile and it operates very smoothly. Glazing is standard with PPG Intercept, however one can upgrade to stainless Intercept or non-metal Super Spacer to increase performance if desired.

Their DH features a structural rating of DP40. Overall U-factor of 0.28 (with reg. Intercept spacer). SHGC=0.29 Air leakage=0.06 AAMA Gold Label tested.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you like the Bainbridge, I would look at the upper end Soft-Lite offerings as well.

You might get a much better window for only a few bucks more.

oldberkeley

#4 Post by oldberkeley »

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

I emailed the company that showed us the Bainbridge asking how much more the LS would be.

Now all we've got to do is make a decision. As I read through the posts on this board, I see that many, many people like me and my family are in exactly the same boat. Each company just talks their own book, and truthfully, that's understandable, what should I expect them to do? It's business.

Unless I became a chemical engineer with a specialty in polymers, then spent 10 years in the field actually installing windows, how in the world could I make an informed decision? It's impossible.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

oldberkeley wrote: Unless I became a chemical engineer with a specialty in polymers, then spent 10 years in the field actually installing windows, how in the world could I make an informed decision? It's impossible.
You have us for that. :D

Tell your friends and be sure to reference the board.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you plan on staying the home for 5 or more years I would suggest the LS.

theWindowNerd.c..

oldberkeley

#7 Post by oldberkeley »

I emailed the window company rep and asked if they carry and install the LS, this is his reply:
​the Bainbridge has been upgraded to the luxury edition, it's a great window. yes we carry the imperial ls as well, they are 100 more a window if you would like that. in my opinion the Bainbridge luxury is as good. Same glass, same super spacers and same foam filled frame.
Any thoughts appreciated, TIA.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I can't personally speak for your local Soft-Lite dealer regarding his pricing with Soft-Lite but the LS is only very tiny bit more over the Bainbridge LE for me to purchase. I've not sold or installed a Bainbridge since 2008 due to this reason. I always put my folks into the LS as it is a completely different window as the other Pros mentioned. Perhaps, you dealer has never really sold the LS but does have access to it and doesn't get any preferred pricing? Regardless, he is flat out wrong about the Bainbridge LE being virtually the same window.

I still like the Bainbridge LE, but it's master frame and sashes are from different vinyl extrusions than that of the Imperial LS. The glass options and type of foam filling are the only two things the the Imperial LS and Bainbridge share. The LS has more robust stronger sash design too.

If I went into a Chevrolet dealer and had a salesman try to tell me that a Camaro was basically the same thing as Corvette Z06 I'd have really question his competence.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above. The Bainbridge is a solid, budget-friendly window, but the LS is in another league. I'd tell your dealer that the LS is the window that you are interetsed in and see what he/she can do on that pricing.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Delaware Mike wrote: If I went into a Chevrolet dealer and had a salesman try to tell me that a Camaro was basically the same thing as Corvette Z06 I'd have really question his competence.
You get a gold chain with the Camaro...

But in all seriousness, I love both cars.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

Windows on Washington wrote:
Delaware Mike wrote: If I went into a Chevrolet dealer and had a salesman try to tell me that a Camaro was basically the same thing as Corvette Z06 I'd have really question his competence.
You get a gold chain with the Camaro...

But in all seriousness, I love both cars.
I had all 3, i still have the gold chain.lol
Camaro was my first car, had a vette in my 20's . Thats the car everyone shot for back in the day.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Back in the day....?

I am still shooting for one..!!!