Just how UV-stable are these windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Pointedstick

Just how UV-stable are these windows?

#1 Post by Pointedstick »

I live in super-sunny high-altitude New Mexico and am wondering how your typical vinyl windows hold up in this kind intense, year-round sun exposure. I know that UV stabilizers are added, but are these like sacrificial anodes in that they eventually give up the ghost, or do they actually impart permanent protection? Will vinyl windows last 50 years in my climate? 25? On the plus side, there isn't much water to worry about! :)

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Just how UV-stable are these windows?

#2 Post by masterext »

You need a high end vinyl window or else it will NOT hold up. See if sunrise or soft lite are available in your area and request "non metal" sash reinforcement. I would recommend okna but they dont offer windows in new mexico.
Also look for a window with a low shgc number, .20 or lower. Thats the kind of number you would want in your climate. For example, on the east coast, you would want an shgc of .24 or higher with double pane glass.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Great advice from HomeSealed.

I seriously doubt any vinyl window will last 50 years in your environment, and I'm not even real sure if one could last 25 years. What's certain is that low-end vinyl windows won't hold up long at all, and even mid-grade vinyl windows will probably begin to have issues in time. What we typically see as "issues' are bowing and warping which can cause excessive air leakage, as well as difficulty locking and tilting the sashes.

Sash reinforcement is a must.

Pointedstick

#4 Post by Pointedstick »

randy wrote:Great advice from HomeSealed.

I seriously doubt any vinyl window will last 50 years in your environment, and I'm not even real sure if one could last 25 years. What's certain is that low-end vinyl windows won't hold up long at all, and even mid-grade vinyl windows will probably begin to have issues in time. What we typically see as "issues' are bowing and warping which can cause excessive air leakage, as well as difficulty locking and tilting the sashes.

Sash reinforcement is a must.
That's sort of what I was afraid of. Would you recommend fiberglass or aluminum-coated wood instead? Would these products have a higher longevity? My existing windows are aluminum and they're around 40 years old, but they're leaky as hell, exhibit terrible performance, and are hard to open and close. I'd like to replace them with much more high quality windows that don't have a built-in expiration date.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Thermally-broken aluminum is a great option for long term durability, but you'll sacrifice some efficiency. Don Young makes a very nice single hung TBA window, and I think it might be available in your area. You might confirm and take a look at them.

Fiberglass offers a good combination of durability and efficiency, but it's far more expensive.

Aluminum clad wood, like fiberglass, is an expensive option and they require more maintenance.

Every product has benefits and drawbacks so the best thing to do is ask the questions, do the research and decide what you're willing to give up in order to get what matters to you.

Pointedstick

#6 Post by Pointedstick »

Yikes, the energy performance of those aluminum windows looks terrible. Don Young windows are advertising U-0.42. some local guys are advertising U-0.44. Those numbers just seem really bad compared to ≤ U-0.3 you can get from vinyl. But if it won't last…

Anyone here have experience installing vinyl windows in high desert climates? How long do they usually last? Are there ways to manufacture them in such a manner as to increase their longevity to the multi-decade range? 100 years isn't important to me since I figure by then we'll all have aerogel windows or something. :P But 30 years would be nice!

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Some of the decent Fiberglass windows are sub 0.30 U-Factors now.

Just depends on what you are willing to spend on them as both they and aluminum are going to come at a premium as compared to good vinyl.

I imagine that the technology will have come along so far in 30 years that your windows not lasting will not be the primary rationale to change them.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

randy wrote:Great advice from HomeSealed.
I dont believe that I have weighed in on this post, but thanks for the kind words randy. I'm sure that they were in anticipation of the superb advice that's en route. :mrgreen:
Seriously though, I can't add much to what has been stated above. New Mexico is a pretty extreme climate where any window will be rigorously tested, so regardless of material you are going to need something at the higher end if you want it to perform over the long term. Among board pro's, randy is closest to you in terms of proximity and product/material selection, so I'll defer to his advice on the specific products that you may want to consider.

Pointedstick

#9 Post by Pointedstick »

Thanks, HomeSealed.

Randy, about how long can you expect high-quality, sash-reinforced vinyl windows to last in your part of Texas before they physically break?