PVC Stop instead of Cladding

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cbaldwin67

PVC Stop instead of Cladding

#1 Post by cbaldwin67 »

Hi guys..first off, thanks to those answering technical questions...very helpful!

I'm about to purchase Sunrise Windows (by Sunrise) and we're discussing whether or not to use the G8 aluminum coil or use a PVC stop. Our home has Hardiplank siding and I'm not sure I like the look of the cladding on the brickmould (house built in 97). Some contractors want to zip a saw thru the Hardiplank where it meets with the brickmould (which I'd rather not do because I don't want to disturb the Hardiplank) and insert the trim. Others just want to cap and not saw. Also, since we have to paint the Hardiplank every 7-10 years anyways as well as the dentel molding on top of each window, I'm thinking why install the cladding as I have other maintenance to do anyways?

As an option, the installer (high rated installer with great reviews) suggested using a PVC stop instead. The PVC stop has strong glue on two sides and adheres to the side of the brickmould (covering the gouges during the removal of the outside stop) and the new vinyl window. The stop would be mitered in the corners and installed on both sides and top of the window. Caulking would be done on both sides of that stop as well. I guess it could also eventually be painted if needed.

Thoughts on using this PVC stop versus the cladding? Have you guys used this method? I was concerned about the caulk and how it could attract pollen and dirt but he mentioned some scaling that it does on it's own to reduce this effect.

Thanks for any input!

Chris

Windows on Washington

Re: PVC Stop instead of Cladding

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Chris,

Any names or pictures of what he is proposing?

cbaldwin67

#3 Post by cbaldwin67 »

I should have taken a picture of the sample he showed me...but I've asked for the manufacturer name and website. He did say these pieces would need to be ordered from a company in Calif.

Have you heard of using this as an alternative to capping?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

When dealing with very expensive homes that have all wood trim or farm houses that are 250 to 300 years old we will do a partial/finish cap.
The idea is the same as the proposed by you, leave the detail to be painted but finish the small scar area on the outside. We do it with smooth aluminum coil and use a paintable exterior caulk like Quad.
If you choose capping be very selective about who you have do it.
I think that the kerf cut to insert along the hardi is a best idea. Also if they have a Brake Buddy you will get excellent detail, and or you need my friend Delaware Mike.

cbaldwin67

#5 Post by cbaldwin67 »

Thanks guys for the comments. Here is the website: trimquick

The installer is thinking of using VS751.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have never used nor seen Trim Quick.
Looks good. I like the warranty, though it is for interior application only.
We use RWD Extend trim.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

We have used Trim Quik plenty of times.

Great company and stuff.