What are all the things that are wrong with Jeld-Wen windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Pointedstick

What are all the things that are wrong with Jeld-Wen windows

#1 Post by Pointedstick »

Still shopping around for good windows for my dry sunny climate, but I happened to pass by the window section in Home Depot the other day and checked out their selection of vinyl Jeld-Wens. I was pleasantly surprised by the specs listed on the NFRC label. U-0.29, 0.22 SHGC, 0.1 AI, under $150 per window. At that price, I'm tempted to pick up a small one and see how hard it is to install it myself in the garage. My per-window budget is much higher than that, but I'm a terrible cheapskate. :P

Now I know that these are not the best windows out there. I can see the plastic locks, for instance. But in other respects, the windows seemed pretty solid. They opened easily and closed snugly. The panes are filled with argon. They had LoE-366 glass. They felt rigid and solid. Definitely seemed like they'd be a tremendous upgrade over my current sticky, leaky, high-UV-admitting aluminum windows.

What are the problems with these Jeld-Wen windows that might make putting them in my house a bad idea? Or is it more like I'd be squandering an opportunity to do better? What is better?

bgbrock

Re: What are all the things that are wrong with Jeld-Wen windows

#2 Post by bgbrock »

"Still shopping around for good windows" " but I'm a terrible cheapskate"
Two very opposing statements :)

I believe it it has been said on this forum , as well as other window forums, installing cheap windows will only cost you more in the long run. Do you really want to spend the money twice?

"Or is it more like I'd be squandering an opportunity to do better?"
There are far better windows available, Yes, they are more expensive than the Jeld Wens but will serve you MUCH longer in terms of life with a whole lot less trouble.

The pros here will undoubtedly recommend- OKNA 800 / Himark, Sunrise (Vanguard or Restorations), Soft Lite, or Quantum 2.

Good luck!!

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I won't comment on specifics of that product, but offer a few general points:

-Cheap windows are generally priced as such because of inferior materials, construction, and engineering. $150-a-pop is a cheap window. Even if the performance on day one is as-advertised, it will degrade at a much faster rate than a superior product.

-There is a big difference between an AI of .1 (could be as high as .19) and .01 (which is the neighborhood of the top products on the market).

-Most manufacturers have a reputation among pros and consumers, and more often than not there is strong support for why. It takes a long time and consistent results (either good or bad) to really build a reputation.

Ultimately, if you don't have very high expectations for performance or longevity, then go ahead and by a cheap window. If OTOH, you are putting some serious thought into this investment (which it seems like you are), then put that research to use and get a high quality product.

Pointedstick

#4 Post by Pointedstick »

That all makes sense. I figured it had to be too good to be true! And I totally get that the true zen master cheapskate move is actually buying the highest quality product that never needs replacement. :)

Unfortunately, while I am willing to spend the cash for some quality windows, Okna, Himark, Sunrise, Soft-Lite, and Quantum products are not available in New Mexico.

I have found a local company whose vinyl offerings look serviceable:

I have not gotten a quote yet, but will be sure to report back once I do!

And I am also considering Marvin's Fiberglass Integrity windows, which are also locally available. I just heard that Champion windows are too but haven't checked them out yet.

I'm trying to avoid Pella and Andersen, which are also available but don't seem to get the best reviews or offer as much bang-for-buck.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep us posted.

We love updates.