Need Help in CT

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kelley825

Need Help in CT

#1 Post by kelley825 »

I am incredibly frustrated with my search for vinyl replacement windows. I have endured 4 hour sales pitches from Power Home Remodeling, visits from Lowes and Home Depot (only to later learn that their Pella and Simonton products are inferior), read bad reviews about just about every single window, and can't find a reputable contractor. All I want are about 10 double-hung and 1 picture--nothing fancy. Just looking for quality that isn't outrageously expensive. Can anyone advise me? I've been quoted everything from $315 per window to $758 per window.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need Help in CT

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Kelly,

Sorry for the difficulty so far.

Where in CT are you located? You are probably going to need to mentally prepare yourself to get back near the upper end of that range and I would highly recommend triple pane in your climate.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. You should have access to some of the top products: Okna/Himark, Softlite Elements, Restorations by Sunrise, Kensington Quantum 2, Polaris Ultraweld, etc.
I'd search a few manufacturers out and then ask for dealer referrals in your area. You'll see a variance in pricing from dealer to dealer, but the $500's is probably the starting point for the most basic options and installation for a quality product from a reputable dealer. Add some options and you can get to $750 pretty quick.

Kbart

#4 Post by Kbart »

I am in CT too in New Haven County on the shoreline and having equal issues and frustrations trying to find a mid range window. I have been breaking down the NFRC and AAMA regulations to understand what makes a good window. I have had over 12 estimates from about $230 to over $1000.00 per window. I do not know if this is helpful but I will share the following just in case it helps this other person in CT.

I just got a quote from soft Lite Elements two days ago in New Haven County CT. It was for the the triple pane argon glass package (krypton triple pane and not offered by this Co. Next Step Living)

I had a quote for 18 openings, 17 windows 100 IU double hung and one standard 6 foot slider.
The total quote was for $20,000 buy today, higher if you buy later $23,000. with in a 30 days, 26,000. if I buy with in a year. Sorry, I was so disappointed in the price, I did not even ask the seperate price of the slider. However, I would guess the slider to be about $3000.00 leaving me at about $1000.00 per window.

I have not tracked down a Soft Lite LS dealer but I have read mostly good things on it.

I have however, research the Soft Lite Pro extencivly and actually believe it is a very good window too, even though we are sort of lead to question it by more expensive windows.

I did get a quote for the Soft Lite pro window for double hung windows with half screens that are 100 IU, from Costal Distributors for
$297.00 per window + installation by a local private contractor recommended by the dealer $150.00 per window + an up graded glass package of triple pane glass with krypton gas $183.00 per window + $15.00 per window for the extended glass warranty = a total of $645 per window. The NFRA ratings for the soft lite pro with the Ultimate glass triple pane super spacer and krypton package are nearly equal to the Elements, perhaps even better than the glass package I was offered by elements.

A slider is not included here. Total window installation for the up grade triple pane krypton Soft Lite Pro is about $11,000. Compared to every thing else I have measured It is looking like a solid choice at this point.

Note: the instillation price includes replacing rotted brick molding and covering all the brick mold around all the windows with aluminum for a care free exterior. If I were just to have windows put in the installation price would be much low like $120.00 per window.

could someone tell me if this is a fair price?