Soooooo confused.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DrAwkward

Soooooo confused.

#1 Post by DrAwkward »

I live in Naples FL and am trying to replace six windows. 4 are double hung and two are horizontal sliding windows.
I been quoted
PGT 400 series windows. $3600 installed with permit fee
PGT 2360 series windows $3000 installed with permit fee
Silverline by Anderson. $2734 installed with permit fee
Amcraft Grand estate Premier (supposed to be same as Simington Reflections???) $3450
Custom Window Systems (CWS)Ocala FL company ( Price estimate not in yet)
All with LowE/argon option
All NON impact glass as I already have great shutters.
I am not a low bid kinda guy and can spend more if a product is worth the expense, nor do I want to spend more than necessary. That said the sales pitches are so confusing I can't tell value from one to another. I saw a window who's weighting system was string (can't imagine that would last too long in SWFL wetness and humidity)
I even called PGT and asked them to explain to a dumb homeowner what the diff was between the 400 series and 2360 and was told the 2360's were an entry level window and the 400 series was the same hurricane frame as the 500 series without the impact glass. Still confused and hoping somebody here or multiple people here can make it easier for me to decide.
Thanks for your insight and advice!
Doc

Windows on Washington

Re: Soooooo confused.

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Doc,

You might be confusing people here as well... :lol: :lol:

I don't know the hurricane line up that well so I am at a bit of a loss. I do know that PGT is well regarded but that is about where it stops and starts.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I recommend eliminating the Andersen Silverline quickly as it's a low-end window. I'd also eliminate the PGT 2360 since, by their own admission, it's an entry level window and the price isn't that much lower than their better regarded 400.

The balance that you refer to as using a string is most likely a block and tackle system and it's actually very good in any part of the country. As with any product there are always cheap knock-offs and that applies to the window industry as well. So if you're looking a mid-grade or better window, the balance system is probably going to be a better quality as well. If you're looking at a low end product, it's built with low end components.

DrAwkward

#4 Post by DrAwkward »

Windows on Washington wrote:Doc,

You might be confusing people here as well... :lol: :lol:

I don't know the hurricane line up that well so I am at a bit of a loss. I do know that PGT is well regarded but that is about where it stops and starts.

Sorry not trying to be confusing any more than I already am. Non of these windows are hurricane windows or impact glass they are NON impact double pane, double hung windows with argon gas. Just trying to compare apples to apples as I don't need the impact glass I already have very good hurricane shutters. Hope that helps clarify?¿?
Doc