metal supported vinyl windows, will they rust?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Kbart

metal supported vinyl windows, will they rust?

#1 Post by Kbart »

I am looking at the Soft Lite Pro windows.

They are virgin vinyl with metal reinforced vinyl welded frames.

They have excellent NFRC and AAMA ratings, for both the double pane argon and up graded triple pane krypton gas glass packages.

My question is, will the metal reinforcments inside the vinyl welded frames rust?

I live in the North East CT were condensation is a issue in the winter.

The condensation resistance is 56 for the argon double glass and 68 for the krypton triple pane glass.

Delaware Mike

Re: metal supported vinyl windows, will they rust?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

No. While I don't really install Soft-Lite's lower models all that often, I do get asked to do services from time to time for homeowners in which a dealer may have retired or can't satisfy the homeowner. I've seen 15-year old Pro's still looking pretty good.

It's very hard to justify the upgrade of krypton over argon these days. We dealers see the net pricing on the glass and it's like 3-times more.

Kbart

#3 Post by Kbart »

Thank you very much for this feed back. A sales person who was selling another window said the Pro would rust from the inside out. It made me worried but I was hoping it was not true.

I am trying to make the final decision on getting the pro. You are the first person I have heard from who has experience with them first hand. It sounds like you would recommend them? Can you tell me any services I might expect? stress cracks, condensation, vinyl issues ???

I have a few of questions, if you can give me any more advice that would be really helpful.

I see you are in the PA area, it gets cold down there too, perhaps not as cold as CT but still cold? Can you tell me if the pros have any issues with condensation or issues with the conduction of hot and cold do to the metal lined vinyl?

It seems to me that the vinyl acts as a thermal breaker but I am not sure?

Would you have any advice on pricing, does the below sound about right?

I have a quote for the double pane argon gas window at $297.00 per window with an additional installation charge of $150.00 per window. Bringing each of my over sized 100 ui windows to a very reasonable $450.00 a window. Installation includes fixing all of the rot on the brick mold and covering all wood with aluminum.

I am trying to figure out if I should add one of the up graded glass packages at an additional charge because I live in the North East in CT where we have sever winters. The glass packages are an additional charge of ($109.00 per window for the argon triple pane, making the windows $559.00 per window) or ($183.00 per window for the krypton triple pane, making the windows $633.00 per window).

The NFRC numbers do support better ratings with the up graded glass packages. Especially the condensation resistance increases with the glass packages: double pane argon CR 56, triple pane argon CR 63 and triple pane krypton CR 68.

Can you tell me if the windows you serviced have the double pane argon glass?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Rust from the inside out is a new one... :lol: :lol:

What will salespeople think of next?

The metal reinforcement with somewhat thermally bridge the sash rail as compared to a composite or no reinforcement.

Given where you are, I think triple pane is a must. The winters are tough up there and we are recommended triple pane as a standard down here as well.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you are going to do TP then you might begin to consider the spacer.
Or even consider it with the double pane.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Technically metal reinforcement can cause condensation due it being a conductor of cold and heat. I suppose rust could form.
Metal can potentially effect energy efficiency by raising the Ufactor, especially if aluminum is used.
I prefer a composite or fiberglass reinforcement bar.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Not only will they rust they'll explode taking all with them within a 10 diameter!