Sliding Patio Door w/ Integrated Blinds

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
RobDMB

Sliding Patio Door w/ Integrated Blinds

#1 Post by RobDMB »

I am considering replacing my rear patio door with a new sliding door (sliders work better for my space). I would ideally like one that has integrated blinds between the glass. Any recommendations on a good product? I know cheap sliding doors tend to have problems so I'd like to get a quality one but hopefully not spend a fortune. The door does go out to a covered patio so it is not subjected to heavy rain or elements if that makes a difference. Also, I am located in PA if that is relevant. Thanks.

- Rob

Windows on Washington

Re: Sliding Patio Door w/ Integrated Blinds

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are in Okna backyard and they make a very nice unit as does Sunrise.

Hopefully the are 6' doors as the additional depth bump stop requirement on the 5' door makes them largely unusable.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In clad wood I think pella has the best system with the most choices, Designer series. They are very expensive and you should us a pella Certified Contractor to install.
If you are looking for vinyl I agree with Eric that Okna/HiMark will be a great choice or Sunrise.

RobDMB

#4 Post by RobDMB »

I had inquired from a dealer regarding an Okna Sliding Patio Door with internal blinds and was told that they strongly recommended against internal blinds. They indicated that with the internal blinds the glass cannot be filled with Argon and is thus uninsulated. Does anyone know if that is in fact correct?

RobDMB

#5 Post by RobDMB »

Also, in inquiring with Okna as to local dealers I was told there was only one. However, I had contacted a few other companies that Okna considers outside my service area that would seeminly also do the job. If a dealer other than who Okna considers my "local" dealer did the job could that in any way jeopardize my warranty?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The only thing that jeopardizies your warranty would be poor workmanship.
Many companies that do the blinds between sealed IGU do not do argon, some do not have low e. But the units are insulated as they are dual pane sealed glass units.
Pella's is a triple pane, so two panes are IGU with low e argon, the third pane is a hinged panel that is not hermetically sealed but does as good a job as tripe pan,e it also has the blind(6 or 8 choices) or pleated shades(13 choices) attached to it and allows for service or for design/ color changes. I will warn you that the Pella seems to currently have the biggest issues with rotting wood and or delaminating cladding. Pella says they have fixed it, but if so they should change the warranty to twenty years, IMHO.

RobDMB

#7 Post by RobDMB »

How is the okna unit with the blinds in between? Do the blinds work well?

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes they do work well. No option besides white raise and lower.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

They have been trouble free for us so far.

They aren't cheap though.

RobDMB

#10 Post by RobDMB »

Is the lack of argon glass in the Okna Slider w/ integrated blinds a big concern (in eastern PA). I assume the doors still have coatings? Is this a reason to steer away from internal blinds.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

The internal mini blinds doors are devoid of argon.

The thermal performance is reduced but they will still be more airtight and thermally resistant than your current door.
Last edited by Windows on Washington on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

The low e coating is far more significant than the argon fill. The Okna unit does still have the low e coating just no argon, which is the same as most other units. I've had very good success with that unit, and would also agree with the other pros on Sunrise and Pella.

RobDMB

#13 Post by RobDMB »

Good to hear. I assume Okna's warranty would cover the internal blinds as well?

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes.

RobDMB

#15 Post by RobDMB »

I want to thank everyone for their wealth of information. As someone who likes to learn as much as possible about a product before purchase this forum is a wealth of information.

One last question (hopefully) regarding the sliders with internal blinds. I have seen people say both Okna and Sunrise are good products. Is there anything that would make one stand out over the other? I have seen it referenced that the Sunrise has a top mounted screen (does the okna not?). One of my main concerns in switching to a slider is getting a solid unit that "glides" well and does not get stuck - are both comparable. Also, are the prices between Sunrise and Okna comparable - I think I've seen it referenced that Sunrise may be more?

All things equal, I'd probably be inclined to stick with Okna for the door since I believe I will go with Okna windows. However if there is a compelling reason to go Sunrise I will consider it as well.

Thanks again.