How to get a Schuco window repaired?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Hugefire

How to get a Schuco window repaired?

#1 Post by Hugefire »

We had Schuco windows installed many years ago by one of the old experts, FenEx. We were sold on the fact the Schuco was such a huge company which would never leave the business, and their state of the art spacer technology. Well, we all know how Schuco abandoned us, and now one of my windows has condensation in it. My question is, can this be repaired like other windows, or will I have to replace the entire glass unit. I really wish I would have bought my second choice, Sunrise windows, instead.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: How to get a Schuco window repaired?

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Measure the exact visible glass area, then add an inch each way.( +1/2" per side ) Go to a local glass shop and order a 7/8" thick low-e glass unit that size and make a deal with the glass shop that you will bring the sash in for a few minutes when they get your glass unit in to replace the glass. They can easily remove the stops on the sash and replace the old glass with the new. Then take it back home and insert it into your window frame.

I'm a former Schuco dealer in Chicagoland and I also have them in my own home as well. If I could go back in time, I would still install them into my home given the choice. I like them that much. I have a variety of casements with transom windows above, double hungs and european french swing windows. I still love them after having them over 10 years.

Hugefire

#3 Post by Hugefire »

Windows4U, I contacted you before I bought them. You put me in touch with FenEx since I'm in the far north suburbs of Chicago instead of down by you. My only regret over buying the Schuco windows is getting things fixed if they go bad. Besides the broken seal on this window, I've got some weather stripping that a cat has clawed at that needs replacing. It's the improved design weather stripping from my formally whistling in line slider. Schuco shipped me a whole roll of it, but I sent it off with FenEx after he replaced mine, figuring I would never need it again. Oops! I only need 4 feet of it. I have been very happy with the energy savings that the windows have provided me, and all my double-hungs are working flawlessly.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Schuco double-bungs are some of the more friendly sashes to deglaze as the IGU's are just set into a wet bed of silicone as opposed to dealing with scraping out a bunch of double siding glazing tape residue. The interior mitered glazing beads are very easy to remove also.

A black Duralite swiggle or Edgetech Super Spacer IGU would match up pretty acceptable from a cosmetic standpoint to the current TPS spacer.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Schuco-USA still has a bunch of parts stashed away so they might still have some of that weatherstripping. I know they still have the guide blocks that guide the sashes in and out to different tracks. You can contact Carol over there if you need to get some parts for the sliders and see if they still have them. She can be reached by email at: CaroleVancedarfield@schuco-usa.com

fridge2020

#6 Post by fridge2020 »

Delaware Mike wrote:double-bungs
:o :o

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

fridge2020 wrote:
Delaware Mike wrote:double-bungs
:o :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

Good grief. Last time I take anything stronger than Ibuprofen to sit through a movie at the theater and then get behind a keyboard. Those apes really shook me up I guess? :D

Hugefire

#9 Post by Hugefire »

I contacted Carole Vance at Schuco and she got back to me right away. The next day, she shipped me out the bulb seal that I needed. If only their customer service had been that good before, they might still be in business. Thanks, Windows4U.