Republic Window - pane removal?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
KJG67

Republic Window - pane removal?

#1 Post by KJG67 »

Hello,

I have a two-pane window, one fixed, one sliding, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the fixed pane.

Info is in the picture below, as I don't know what numbers are what, but here is it typed out: Republic (I know - came with the house), v47020 Builders 2LT SLDR 1R/L1(?) W/FIN. Also 7546/SH/41. Manufactured 6/24/99.

The center frame looks like it should slide out, but we can't get it to budge. Not sure if it's screwed in from the outside. I really need to get a couch into the house, but it just doesn't fit through the doorway by a hair.

My contractor is thinking the entire window is held in by flanges, so worst case he's saying (if I understand this correctly), he'll sawzall around it, pull the entire thing out, get the couch through, reinstall it and place some screws around the frame from the inside to secure it, and expansion foam and caulk it around the outside.

Obviously we would rather figure out how to remove the center frame and the fixed window. Any thoughts from you experts? Thanks very much!

Windows on Washington

Re: Republic Window - pane removal?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Its a 1-part slider. The 2nd, fixed, panel is not designed to be removed and you would be better suited to remove it from the home, than try to de-glaze and re-glaze in place.

Unzip that siding around it and pull the whole unit intact.

What kind of door do you have? Might be easier to pull that panel.

KJG67

#3 Post by KJG67 »

Thanks. After asking around some more that's what I found out. The door to the basement is the only other access and due to the turn and wall placement, I'd have to do do some drywall and stud removal even if we took the frame out. I took a similar size couch out so I thought it would fit. This ones just a bit taller and that's the problem.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Saws all with very long blade, cut sofa in half, super glue once in place.
Naw,
I agree with Eric, the best thing to do is remove the window b removing the siding around it.
Great answer Eric, I might have just cut the window out without thinking about unzipping the vinyl siding, duh.