Okna 700 casement vs Soft-Lite imperial LS and Elements

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
eagle107

Okna 700 casement vs Soft-Lite imperial LS and Elements

#1 Post by eagle107 »

Hello everyone,

I am in the Elma/East Aurora, NY area (around Buffalo NY). I need to replace nine old Pella casement windows that were installed in the house in 1971. I would like to install either the Okna 700 series, Soft-Lite's imperial LS or Soft-Lite's Elements windows. Which is the better casement window these days? Looking for a standard double pane soft coat window to install, so I was wondering the how much these windows go for? Two windows are L 65 1/2 x W 75 1/2, others are L 40 1/2 x W 46 1/2. Also, should the windows installation cost as much as the windows themselves? Lastly, does anyone know of a good company in my area that sells and replaces these windows? I received a call from a company called Wonder Windows base in Rochester, NY that handles the Buffalo, NY area for installing the Okna windows, but when I look at their website, I see that their installation prices per window seem awfully low, so I am wondering how good they are or if they are more like a company such as Windows World. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

TheWindowNerd

Re: Okna 700 casement vs Soft-Lite imperial LS and Elements

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Okna casements will do a great job for you.
There is to little detail to comment on pricing for your project. Besides each contractor has many different variables that affect their pricing.

Are you doing insert or full tear/full frame replacement? Some contractors only specialize in one or the other and then are skewed that way. I think it is best to find someone who does both just as easily and well so that you can explore both options with confidence.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I believe that Soft-lite has one casement window that will be the same in the Elements and LS lines. Another good option would be Sunrise. Their casement is one of the nicest in the industry.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Most folks would be thrilled with any of the casements referenced above. All are best in class grade products. I'd go best value or deal provided the installation methods and standards are apples to apples.

eagle107

#5 Post by eagle107 »

Everyone,

Thank you for the information. I have two windows that will need to be a full tear out because the frames are starting to rot. The rest can be just inserted into the current frames. I would like to look at Sunrise windows also, but I cannot find a company around here that sells them. I have send an email to Sunrise trying to find a dealer that sells their windows in my area, but have not heard back.

How good are the Soft-lite Pro series versus the Imperial LS and Elements windows? If I go with a triple pane windows on the Pro series, would that be as good as the Imperial LS or Elements double pane windows? Is the Imperial LS and Element superior with the foam in the frame and etc.?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thermally speaking, the Pro in triple will outperform the LS or Elements in double.

That being said, there is more to the window performance that just thermal (i.e. structural, air infiltration, design, etc.) and that is where the LS and Elements are really superior to the Pro.

The Pro is no slouch, the LS and Elements are just better.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I prefer the Okna and Sunrise casements, but the Softlite is solid. All of their lines actually use the same casement extrusion (chassis), with different levels of weatherstripping and other add-ons. The Elements and LS variant will offer the best ratings and performance as such, and I'd stick with that version personally.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

The Pro has the same performance numbers as the LS, Element and even the classic is the same. Performance numbers take a dive with the Bainbridge and Barrington.. These numbers include DP , air infiltration as well as thermal. The Triple Pro would be superior thermally and equal structurally according the Soft-Lite web site.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote:The Pro has the same performance numbers as the LS, Element and even the classic is the same. Performance numbers take a dive with the Bainbridge and Barrington.. These numbers include DP , air infiltration as well as thermal. The Triple Pro would be superior thermally and equal structurally according the Soft-Lite web site.
That is rather curious if that is the case Todd. Are you comparing operating casements and not the old "fixed casement" ratings? The Elements and LS are the ONLY models that fill every available track on the extrusion with weAtherstripping. I admit to not knowing every niggle of the softlite lineup , but it raises an eyebrow one way or another if fewer layers of weatherstripping do not improve AI ratings... And that is assuming that your statements are accurate.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I am talking operating casements as that is what is cited in the original post. All info is fast and easy to find on softlites website.

eagle107

#11 Post by eagle107 »

Everyone,

I went to one of the windows dealer today to get another quote on Soft-Lite windows and found that they also sell Bristol Windows. Does anyone know anything about these windows? Also, some people are telling me to go with Pollard Windows, but I have heard that their warranty work is not the best with their windows. Are Pollard Windows worth looking at? Lastly, I see on both Okna and Bristol Window's websites that their is the US Department of Energy R5 volume purchase program. Does anyone know how this program works and if you can get a large discount or tax credit going with R5 windows instead of going with R3 windows?

Thank you.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

No current federal tax credits or rebates for r5.
Just a higher level being pushed by DOE.

eagle107

#13 Post by eagle107 »

Everyone,

We went with the OKNA casements windows and a Polaris steel entry double door for my parents house. The OKNA windows were $3500 to $4500 less than the quotes for Sunrise and Soft-Lite Imperial LS windows. It could be due in part because this window company we went with main the main distributor of OKNA windows in this part of New York. Thanks again for the help.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Did ya do the triple pane?

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good choices.

Keep us posted!!