Slider or Dual Casement in front of Kitchen Sink?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
RobDMB

Slider or Dual Casement in front of Kitchen Sink?

#1 Post by RobDMB »

I'm considering going forward with window replacement in my home. It will likely be the Okna 800DX series. One thing I am torn about is the type of window I should use in front of the sink in my kitchen. I have an opening that is approximately 38 inches wide by 36 inches tall. Presently there are two casement windows that fill this space with a typical bar down the center. In receiving quotes, its been mentioned that I could also opt to put a slider in this space, which would probably save around $500. Our counters are not too deep so reaching the window is not a huge concern.

Any thoughts or considerations? What do most people do? Thanks.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Slider or Dual Casement in front of Kitchen Sink?

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Consider an awning window as well. It will give you a picture window-like view. Many of my customers go with this option above kitchen sinks.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

I always felt a twin casement or awning is most ergonomic above a kitchen sink. That said, a slider is another option and will save some money( one window opposed to two with a twin casement).
A double hung works but could be a bit cumbersome especially for elderly people.
The okna 800 is an excellent window, i use it almost exclusively.
As far as saving $500, the savings would be less than that.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with the awning recommendation. You will lose a TON of glass with a twin casement in that size, I'd do the awning or slider.
Good product choice. :)

randy

#5 Post by randy »

One more vote for the awning - less money (than a double casement) and more glass. Plus it seals tighter than a slider.
Last edited by randy on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Awning or slider.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Rob,
It has happened twice this morning, I had a thought.
I know you are looking at the Okna and that the size limit on width of casement is 36",
That is not the case for Sunrise, they would make that 38" wide unit in that height, don't know why I didn't think of it before.
So you have several good options: full sized single casement, twin casement not so good, awning you have double locks, or a slider.
Is there a porch or large overhang there, if so you lose one advantage of the awning type which is ventilation in the rain. An advantage of a two lite slider with half screen is that you can use the window as a pass through, though your size is small for that.

RobDMB

#8 Post by RobDMB »

Wayne,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will consider that as well. At this point, I think I am probably just leaning toward a slider (or maybe even a DH which my wife seems to like). There is a walkway in front of my kitchen window so I'm concerned if an awning or casement is opened, someone could run into it.

- Rob

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

RobDMB wrote:Wayne,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will consider that as well. At this point, I think I am probably just leaning toward a slider (or maybe even a DH which my wife seems to like). There is a walkway in front of my kitchen window so I'm concerned if an awning or casement is opened, someone could run into it.

- Rob
If it is on a deck, you do need to consider the impact on the walking surfaces.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Rob,
If the wife is happy and it is the least costly how can ya go wrong? :D