Alside Excalibur vs SoftLite Imperial

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
shopping

Alside Excalibur vs SoftLite Imperial

#1 Post by shopping »

Looking for informed opinions on 2 quotes. Job is for 31 replacement windows with grids, 21 of which are double-hungs 50-74 “ high; 3 are pictures 45-60â€

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

better recheck the u-values on those windows. with double hungs that size, i would be sure that there is some sort of horizontal reinforcement. 50" is a pretty good span especially at about 36" height per sash. i can see a vinyl smile coming. not much difference between the two windows. both are mid level quality with a perfect install at best.

shopping

#3 Post by shopping »

Sorry - I wasn't clear. The widths on the double-hungs range from 24 to 36. The heights range from 50 to 74. Don't have any double-hungs that are over 36" wide.

And are you recommending checking the u values because they don't sound right for the windows?
Thanks.

windowrep

#4 Post by windowrep »

check nfrc.org i know in my area softlite is lucky to be under .35 and alside excaliber should be around .33 or .34. i would check to be sure though. good luck

InfoSponge

#5 Post by InfoSponge »

The best residential double-hung Excalibur with argon and the standard Intercept spacer has a u value of .32, with some configurations being .33. With the SuperSpacer addition it can get as low as .31 or .30 with krypton, but I doubt your quote has that in it. I think the salesperson is wrong or quoted another style like a picture window, so give him a call to see what happened and you might also mention that u.28 = R3.57! See: http://cpd.nfrc.org/pubsearch/psMain.asp for the NFRC certified numbers.

I don't think people fault the u-value of the Excalibur as much as the quality control and thinner frames. The double-hung air infiltration rating is .16, which is above average.

WisWindowGuy

#6 Post by WisWindowGuy »

Both Soft-Lite and Alside are among the 13 brands that we sell. The Soft-Lite DH-10 (Imperial) is a very good unit that we've had excellent luck with. As for the Alside Excalibur, for only a small up-charge you should be able to get into their Ultra-Max top of the line model. It's beefier, and has a nicer interior look with the "molding" glazing bead on the inside, next to the glass that makes it look more like a real wood window. We've had good luck with both units, but in our area the Alside makes it an easier service question as they're one of the last actual "factory" distributors vs most other units sold by
an "independent" distributor. Independent distributors tend to switch manufacturers so we have to keep up with who's the new distributor for most windows.

oppie

#7 Post by oppie »

Thanks Wiswindowguy - [log-in trouble - I am now 'oppie']

I've definitely moved on from the excaliburs, and am now waiting for final quotes to decide between the Schuco corona 4000s, the softlite imperial (with superspacer upgrades), and the Alside Sheffield. I think all would meet our needs, so I've just got to weigh various pros and cons now..

++ The numbers and overall quality are better on the schucos (.22 vs .3).
++ Installation-wise, I am more confident in the softlite installer out of the three. Have heard just enough to be nervous with the schucos.
++ We have a 100" wide picture window that only softlite can do as a single picture window.
? The sheffield is kind of a toss up, I think more or less equivalent to the softlite, quality-wise.

Cost is the question still on the table -- not sure how much more I'm willing to pay for the schucos. The schuco dealer here in NoVa did quote us an excellent price (roughly 720 per window, including 10 with tempering).

So we'll see......anyone who cares to weigh in is welcome -- the advice has been very helpful so far.

linaw_sg

#8 Post by linaw_sg »

Hi oppie,

I'm just starting the window search process. I live in Washington DC and I'm curious to know which window you ended up with? Also, who did you speak to for Softlite windows?

After reading all the discussion, I was set to get quotes from Schuco and Simonton . However, I can't seem to find a Simonton dealer in this area and then I read about someone's bad experience with one particular Schuco installer around here. Made me realize finding a good installer was just as important as finding a good window.

So, I would like to hear from people who had a good experience with their installers. I'm in the Washington DC area. Thanks!

windowman pa

Hi Oppie,

#9 Post by windowman pa »

Who are you talking to for Schuco windows!