New Townhouse with SilverLine by Anderson Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
eagle107

New Townhouse with SilverLine by Anderson Windows

#1 Post by eagle107 »

Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a newly built townhouse around 161k. The unit is good except for the builder using SilverLine by Anderson windows (the stickers were still on the windows when I looked at the unit) . I am pretty sure the builder has installed the single hung 2900 series or the double hung 3000 series windows and either a 5500 or 5800 series patio door. The windows felt solid when I looked at them, but I am not a fan of these windows at all. I have a condo right now that has SilveLine casement windows installed back in 1993 and are not good. Have the SilverLine windows improved at all since Anderson bought SilveLine? If not, how many years do you think I will get out of these windows (in the Buffalo/Rochester NY area) before needing to replace them with good quality OKNA or Sunrise windows. Of course the builder will not give me anything off for using low end windows; thus wants full for price for the unit. Not sure if this speak of the type of builder they are and wondering if I should just walk away seeing that is the types of materials they use to build the townhouses. Thanks for the help.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: New Townhouse with SilverLine by Anderson Windows

#2 Post by masterext »

Silverline are still complete garbage and the builder chose silverline for one reason only: they were cheap. They are extremely flimsy and poorly designed.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Good luck finding any reputable quality vinyl windows being installed in the bulk of new construction these days. I'd venture to wage that is less than .001%. Only smaller custom builders that command a premium price for their craftsmanship spend the extra time researching and provided quality vinyl offerings. More often than not Andersen wood, Pella, or Marvin will reign over mid/high-end vinyl in sheer exposure.

Ultimately it's the market place that the blame should be placed. The builders simple could care less. It's all about volume and profit. Never once has a house not sold because of subpar windows in new construction. There is always someone else lined up to be victimized by all of that lipstick and mascara.

Silverline is pretty much the bottom of the barrel. Horrible looking and performing. Will they break inside of 10-years and not be able to be operable? Most likely not. Will they be really energy efficient and operate correctly with smooth sash operation? Who knows? My guess is no after seeing how framers install windows these days. The real problem seems to be with the long term home owner or 2nd & 3rd owners of the property as they're faced with the task of replacing them and the labor intensive cost of correctly undoing the siding and sheetrock/wood returns to make a real window fit correctly.

eagle107

#4 Post by eagle107 »

Yeah, it seems that the builders really do not care out there. Well I guess I am in a rock and a hard place. Seeing I just moved here for a new job, I need a place to live and, so far, this is one of the better places I have found. I cannot tell you how many townhouses I have looked at that have non-functional original windows or windows that the owner have caulked to keep the cold out. Well, I guess I will move forward with the offer and hope for the best even though I hate these windows. May be I will get a few years out of them. Thanks again for the help.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Will the builder even let you swap them out?

You should be able to find someone to supply them new construction.

eagle107

#6 Post by eagle107 »

I am not sure yet. So far the builder believes there is nothing wrong with these windows. I think they are mad that I have pointed this out to them. I have not even asked yet about the type of front door they put in or the type of installation (Rx) they are using in the garage ceiling to protect against the cold radiating in the master bedroom above the garage. I have a feeling that will put them over the edge.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Unless the builder is giving you the home for free, why would you care if he gets upset or mad????? He should be more concerned with you getting mad.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice from Mike.
If every builder that used cheap windows was disqualified from consideration, you would be left with a pretty small pool to choose from. Maybe the home's quality of construction is not very good, maybe it is, point is that it is hard to tell simply by the window choice. Windows are an afterthought for most buyers and builders know it, so they will allocate more money to the granite countertops, tile showers, cabinet hardware, etc. It is easy to blame the builders, but they are just responding to the consumer. Windows are out of sight, out of mind for most folks... Until they are 5 yrs old and leak air profusely and don't lock because they are out of square.

masterext

#9 Post by masterext »

HomeSealed described it perfectly...well said.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Very well said by Homesealed.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

At 161K for a nice townhouse what do you can not expect perfection. Perfection is overpriced. Good to very good can be the best value.
Construction quality does play a large part in building stresses and successes.
Just barely legal construction will get you lots of settlement issues down the road.
That is why we often say about old houses that they have good bones. That is not what we typically say about new construction.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

HomeSealed, for once... :lol: :lol: , said it perfectly.

Have an open and honest communication with your builder and see if they will let you swap out the units in question and select another window that either you can source or if they have another option.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:+1

HomeSealed, for once... :lol: :lol: , said it perfectly.
Don't make me go to photoshop again! :twisted:

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

I need a new Christmas card picture so do it up.