Okna 500 Sound Attenuation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Homeowner1516

Okna 500 Sound Attenuation

#1 Post by Homeowner1516 »

I am currently researching vinyl replacement windows and have noted the number of knowledgeable, positive comments regarding the Okna 500 Series window on this board. While 5 of the 7 windows I wish to replace present no issues, there are two with respect to which attenuation of low frequency pulsations from a neighbor's whole house ac unit is a key criterion. What puzzles me about the Oknas is that amidst the plethora of performance data available on the Okna site there are no STC or OITC figures, attributable, so the salesperson, to the fact that Okna performs no sound tests, which I find incomprehensible. The salesperson has stated that a 500 with laminated glass is available, which he describes in an e-mail as follows: "the laminated glass is two panes of apparently 6 milimeters thick each pane, placed together with a piece of poly laminate in between those two panes and when ordered as insulated laminated glass you would get the laminated glass and a third pane of glass assembled with a spacer bar in between that third pane and the laminated glass and then the thickness of this laminated/insulated glass can be either 3/4", 15/16" or 1" overall thickness depending on the width of the spacer bar system."
Questions:
1. Should I move ahead with the Oknas notwithstanding the absence of STC/OITC figures?
2. Can one of you window mavens estimate the STC/OITC figures given the salesperson's description for a double-hung 500, 31 X 52?

Semi-Full disclosure:
1. Pittsburgh
2. House has double brick construction, through which the ac pulsations do not
penetrate.
3.House was built in 1919; windows appear to be original equipment. If not, they're very old wooden single pane, single hung windows,
4. I've looked at Marvins but am put off by the price for the Integrities.
5. I plan on a simple install as opposed to a tear-out. (Will that compromise sound attenuation?)
6. The installer has good, but few, positive reviews on Angie's List and is 20 miles from my house.

Let me know if further info. is required.

I thank you in advance for your helpful input and advice. :)

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 500 Sound Attenuation

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Okna does not test their windows for STC and that is not uncommon. That is not the thrust of their goal and is more of a periphery concern for most folks.

Couple that with the fact that the testing is pretty expensive and I don't think it is supremely high on their list.

We have used laminated glass for folks with measured and positive results. STC and OITC are a technical undertaking and you can get into all type of hot water with folks if you promise certain "results". The human ear is very subjective and you couple that with all the frequencies out there and it turns into a real nightmare.

If you don't have a storm window already, then the new windows (even without laminated glass) are going to be a huge improvement.

On the units you are concerned about, I would just spring for the laminated glass and know that the investment will net some measured results.

Safe estimate on the STC of the window with the laminated glass is probably mid 30's.

Homeowner1516

Re: Okna 500 Sound Attenuation

#3 Post by Homeowner1516 »

Thank you for the helpful information and advice.