slocomb Vs Ideal majestic

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nike

slocomb Vs Ideal majestic

#1 Post by nike »

I have two quotes for Ideal majestic and Slocomb, both double hung, double pane, but Ufactor on ideal is .23 while Ufactor on slocomb is .26. Am replacing 15 windows and price comes down to $420 a piece for both. Can some one pl tell me which branch is better. I have read mix reviews for both but not sure which one is better.

Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: slocomb Vs Ideal majestic

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

In that comparison, despite the U-factor delta, the Slocomb is the better window based on my observations and having seen the two products.

Ideal is also getting that data with a surface 4 low-e which is not "ideal", pardon the pun, given that is reduces the CR number.

nike

#3 Post by nike »

Thanks a lot.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. .26 is an excellent u factor for a standard double pane with low-e and argon. The .23 that the other company is getting is with a surface 4 low e coating as WoW mentioned. That means that the actually interior surface of your window glass (that you can touch) has a low-e coating on it. Much like 366 glass, it is used to get a better looking u-factor, despite that fact that it may not be the best option for your climate. By most accounts, durability does not seem to be an issue, however condensation certainly can be. It lowers the condensation resistance by an amount that is not insignificant

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

470 per window is at the very low end of the spectrum when searching for quality, a few bucks more and you can get something a bit more solid. That price is low even for slocomb and i dont know how that contractor is even making a profit. Slocomb are decent depending on the series.
I would look at Vytex windows ( potomac series or fortis series ) and also Okna, the Okna 600 series. 2 very good brands that almost every pro highly recommends.

The Ideal Majestic is a very good window and i would choose it over slocomb any day. The standard windows by Ideal are ok i guess but the majestic series is much higher end and very nice looking. I think a lot of guys here are confusing the standard window by Ideal with the Majestic. The majestic has a .02 air infiltration rating, the same as okna and soft lite. The Majestic is recommended quite a bit.
Last edited by masterext on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:35 am, edited 6 times in total.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote:Soft coat lowE on surface 2 reflects heat back in the home. As it is being reflected , the heat is passing through surface 3 and 4. What does this do? The heat is now warming up surface 3 and 4; warmer glass.
Why isnt hard coat lowE on surface 4 a good idea? Instead of the heat being reflected off surface 2, it now reflects directly off surface 4 . This will cause the heat to be reflected back into your home and lower the Ufactor but it never warms up surface 3 and 4. Now you have a cold surface 4.. Cold glass and a heated interior room means a lot of condensation. Stay away from hard coat lowE coatings.
Great explanation. :)

nike

#7 Post by nike »

Thanks for detailed explanation. I would go for slocumb, haven't sign anything yet, have price quote of $6300 for 15 windows. If anyone knows good contractor around east brunswick, NJ, Pl let me know, would love to compare more now.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I know an excellent contractor, who carries a line that I actually prefer over either of those. Click the "GET QUOTE" button by Masterexts name to get in contact with him, as I believe he serves your area. His knowledgeable posts speak for themselves. Great company.

Clive

#9 Post by Clive »

I saw slocomb for close to the same cost( 435 ) and it looked kind of sloppy, no attention to detail when they put it together; very generic. I also found it quite odd/ weird that slocomb uses fiberglass insulation in the frame opposed to moulded polysterene or urethane like other higher end window companies. I imagine its much cheaper to use fiberglass. Im willing to pay some extra to get something at the next level. I want to do this one time and not again.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Fiberglass in the frames was always very cheesy to me as well.

I agree with you that spending the money once and getting the best window you can afford is the way to go.