Replacement Vinyl window Sound reduction

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jklb234

Replacement Vinyl window Sound reduction

#1 Post by jklb234 »

Im replacing 3 windows in my master bedroom. Im trying to reduce the most sound possible of kids and dogs from neighbors. Ive been quoted milgard tuscany and style line plus the plygem windows. Ive read to get the highest stc values. What windows do you recommend and what glass configurations to get the most sound reduction? Cost is a factor but I'm willing to pay more to get the right windows.

thanks

JK

TheWindowNerd

Re: Replacement Vinyl window Sound reduction

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Various mfg have glass packages to take care of some noise reduction.
Most will have a variable glass thickness and laminated glass.
Ask the dealers that you are considering.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ask them.

Milgard makes a dedicated line of windows called their QuietLine that has documented and supremely good STC numbers.

If you really want to quell the noise, go that route.

If you are okay with not as aggressive performance, go with either offset glazing or laminated glass.

jklb234

#4 Post by jklb234 »

Standard Tuscany Milgard has an stc of about 30. If i offset the glass it bumps up to 33. Lamination which adds a ton of cost only gets me 1 additional point. 1800 for 3 windows with offset glass and 2500 with lamination. I think ill just go offset as tuscany doesn't have a glaze option

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

jklb234 wrote:Standard Tuscany Milgard has an stc of about 30. If i offset the glass it bumps up to 33. Lamination which adds a ton of cost only gets me 1 additional point. 1800 for 3 windows with offset glass and 2500 with lamination. I think ill just go offset as tuscany doesn't have a glaze option
The lamination adds a point over the offset glazing? What about just lamination without the offset glazing?

$2500 for 3 windows with laminated and offset glazing is very cost effective, FYI.