Okna 500 vs. Simonton Impressions 9800

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hjwindowfan

Okna 500 vs. Simonton Impressions 9800

#1 Post by hjwindowfan »

Dear all:

I am trying to make a decision between Okna 500 vs. Simonton Impressions 9800 to replace my 8 double hungs. I am in Illinois and have quoted a few window companies and narrowed down to these two.

Received quotes from both dealers with almost the same prices.

Okna 500: standard configuration, including installation, 25y warranty on windows/hardware/glass unit/glass breakage + 10y labor warranty
$470/window

Simonton Impressions 9800: standard configuration, including installation, double lifetime warranty on windows/hardware/glass unit, 25y glass breakage + 10y labor warranty
$470/window

Is it common for Okna 500 to carry only 25y warranty? Most of the windows I have researched or quoted has lifetime warranty.

Reading many posts on this board, Okna 500 seems to win on the technology side. However, Simonton 9800 is their top-line product, double lifetime warranty and Simonton is well known for their customer service.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Okna 500 vs. Simonton Impressions 9800

#2 Post by masterext »

The Okna 500 carries a Life Time warranty.
The Okna is a better window than the simonton 9800 for a few reasons.
1) the okna is much more energy efficient. Ufactor of .25.
2) the okna is much more air tight, an air infiltration number of .02 whereas the simonton has a high air leakage rate, over 1.7 .
3) the Okna has a much slimmer frame, the simonton is very bulky and you lose quite a bit of glass.
4) the sill design on the okna is much better designed opposed to the simonton.
5) the okna has a much stronger sill wall.
Those are just a few reasons. $470 for the Okna 500 is a very good price.
To be fair, okna is not the only good window, the sunrise vanguard is very good,
soft lite elements, kensington quantum 2 as well.
This comparison especially when price is factored in, the okna wins over the simonton hands down even though its the simonton 9800.

hjwindowfan

#3 Post by hjwindowfan »

Thank you very much for your reply. It is quite clear now.

It is interesting that the Okna dealer specifically put 25y warranty for the window on their quote and also mentioned that during the consultation. I made a call to Okna and was told that the warranty is up to the dealer. Is that normal?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

I guess thats possible. That said, 25 years is basically life time any way. I see absolutely no difference. If the window lasts 25 years, it will last 100.
Are you sure he didnt say The Labar warranty was 25 years? If so, thats as good as life as well.
If there ever is an installation related issue, it usually shows up within 6 months, not years down the road. There may be a few exceptions but for the most part, install issues show up relatively quick.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

No comparison in terms of performance.

Not sure why the dealer is saying 25 years as the warranty from Okna is life of home.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

In standard configuration the Okna has a U-value of 0.28, 0.25 with deluxe package. Not sure of the air leakage on the Simonton but somewhere between 0.07 and 0.17.
Little absurd to state a window lasting 25 years is going to last 100 especially considering quality vinyl windows didn't start showing up till the 90's (rough estimate). Most from the 70's and 80's have not stood the test of time. A few of us have have been installing windows before some of the vinyl companies have been around.
That being said, the Okna is the better window and a more progressive company on the rise. Simonton is a larger company that has been around awhile,has been recently sold and does not seem to be on the cutting edge.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:In standard configuration the Okna has a U-value of 0.28, 0.25 with deluxe package. Not sure of the air leakage on the Simonton but somewhere between 0.07 and 0.17.
Little absurd to state a window lasting 25 years is going to last 100 especially considering quality vinyl windows didn't start showing up till the 90's (rough estimate). Most from the 70's and 80's have not stood the test of time. A few of us have have been installing windows before some of the vinyl companies have been around.
That being said, the Okna is the better window and a more progressive company on the rise. Simonton is a larger company that has been around awhile,has been recently sold and does not seem to be on the cutting edge.
Agreed Todd.

The Okna also has a much, much slimmer profile.

I agree with you about vinyl not having really been around in its current format for 25 years. I have been by some 10 year old installs and have been amazed how good they were looking and functioning.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've installed both the OKNA and Simonton products. My main beef with the Simonton line is the 20-year plus design. The OKNA 500/800 series features quite a few industry advancements over anything Simonton is turning out these days regarding performance. I'm not sure what the air leakage is regarding the 9800 series over the 5500. The 9800 (double-hung) has an extra layer of weatherstripping on the sashes as they meet the master frame jambs which should knock the number down below 1.0 I would think?
Last edited by Delaware Mike on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterext

#9 Post by masterext »

Im obviously exaggerating about 100 years. That said, the quality of the vinyl in today's higher end brands are much more durable than the older vinyl windows , not to mention todays advanced engineering in todays higher end brands.
The air leakage number on the simonton 9800 most certainly is .17
. Thats very high. The Okna is much better at .02.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I wasn't sure if you were exaggerating or not , just wanted to clarify and express my thoughts.
You originally posted 1.7 or higher as the AI rating for Simonton. Everything I have seen is 0.17 or lower for there 5500 double-hung. I will try contacting them regarding the 9800's AI number. I didn't realize it had more weather stripping and would be curious to know.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Well of course the data for both of the windows is right on there website and it is exactly the same for both windows in all test sizes listed. To correct my previous post they do list a AI # as high as 0.19 for some of there test sizes and down to 0.07.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:Well of course the data for both of the windows is right on there website and it is exactly the same for both windows in all test sizes listed. To correct my previous post they do list a AI # as high as 0.19 for some of there test sizes and down to 0.07.
They are still pretty high and neither you or I would put a window in with near a 0.19 number on it.

In most of the cases where they get their lowest numbers, they are using huge sample sizes to get the number artificially down.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the above recommendations. With experience selling and installing both, the Okna is in another league IMO. That price is very low for that 500 series as well. I'd recommend the DX upgrade (if not already included) which gets the ufactor to .25.

Also, the Okna manufacturer warranty most certainly is lifetime except in commercial applications. Not sure what the confusion is on that.

I think we can all agree that today's technological advancements in window manufacturing are far and away ahead of what was used 30 years ago, or even 15 in many cases. Even at that, I have seen 15+ year old quality vinyl windows that could pass for only a few years old. No reason that a high end product purchased today should not last 30+ years. That said, one would expect (or at least hope) that technology will advance that much more in that amount of time so as to make a 30 yr old product nearly obsolete.

Lastly, as you might imagine, installation quality is just as important as the product itself to make sure that you achieve the expected performance. Window4U is a board pro that may serve your area and runs a stellar operation down in IL. There are some pictures floating around here of some of his installs that are absolutely beautiful. It would be well worth it to reach out to him if you have not yet decided.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I too would trust my install to Dave and his team at Windows4U.

hjwindowfan

#15 Post by hjwindowfan »

Thank you all for your thoughtful inputs. I decided to go with the Okna 500.