Stanek Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Clive

Stanek Windows

#1 Post by Clive »

Had a company come out and show me Stanek Windows. Looks solid, anyone care to opine?

bgbrock

Re: Stanek Windows

#2 Post by bgbrock »

You are correct, it is a solid window. The only downside - it has a pocket sill, as opposed to a sloped sill.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Well built window.

Pocket sill is a disqualifier for me though. I know there are some great pocket sill windows out there but I have seen enough leak that it has altered my impression of them.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Agree, Stanek looks very solid but its hard to endorse it fully with a pocket sill.
A pocket sill is cheaper to manufacture than a true welded sloped sill, thats why companies still use that horrible design. Alside is notorious for pocket sills.

crankthisout

#5 Post by crankthisout »

Well, I guess everyone commenting is assuming you have a double-hung window.
If it is a double hung, the Stanek has a Structural rating of R-70 (Top 2 on the market). The pocket sill for this window is no problem. Some pocket designs have very small weep holes which can get clogged (Champion, Alside) but no problem with the Stanek.

If we're talking about horizontal sliding windows, then keep in mind that every slider from every company including Stanek has a pocket sill. Funny how this design is unacceptable on this board for a double-hung but no big deal if its a horizontal slider.

Its a solid window and would have no worries. Dealers can't get ahold of this window to sell since its only sold through factory outlets direct from Great Day, so then the bashing starts.

If its a casement window, there are very few, if any, which are reinforced through the entire frame and sash like the Stanek casement. This again adds a ton of structural rigidity and give hardware some place to bite into.

Good luck!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Crankthisout
You are obviously a stanek dealer and i can respect that. As i said, stanek is a solid window but the pocket sill is an issue. You are correct, every slider does have a pocket sill and is one reason most on this board dislike slider windows. Double hung windows are MUCH more common/ popular than sliders so thats why we always feel compelled to voice our dislike of pocket sills.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

CTO,

The numbers on the Stanek are impressive to be certain and not all pocket sill windows are created equal.

Might you have access to a sample window that I could check out? I would love to see it with my own two eyes so that I could alter my overarching opinion on pocket windows to include a few exceptions.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Good numbers but the feedback that I hear most frequently is that it is pretty bulky and unattractive. The pocket sill on a DH is a disqualifier for me as well. The difference on slider is that more of the channel is accessible for cleaning when need be, although quite frankly that is one of the reasons that I'm not a huge fan of sliders in general.
There are other products that test out as good or better in most ratings and do so while preserving a significant amount of glass, and with a welded, sloped sill.

Where are you located Clive? That will dictate what other products are available to you. You could certainly do worse than that product, but I'd take a look at something like a Sunrise Restoration or Okna 800/Envirostar for comparison purposes before you make a final decision.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I thought about this today while driving around.
I have never seen moss growing out of a slider, I have seen it many times on pocket sill hung windows.
Like HS I too have reservations about sliders due to the weep through the lower extrusion.
Never looked inside either but that has got to be nasty.

If there is a better choice why not choose that?

wiplyer

#10 Post by wiplyer »

Beware of Stanek. Effective January 9, 2013 they were purchased by Great Day Improvements LLC. Once that happened, those of us who had purchased product from Stanek Windows prior to that date lost our Limited Lifetime Warranty. I have spoken to Great Day Improvements about this and they indicate that because the only aquired the assests and name, they have no obligation to cover the warranty because they (Great Day) did not actually manufacture the windows.

We spent more than $20,000 to have all of our windows, entry door, screen door and patio doors replaced and we decided to get the best available. It's been a great, energy saving purchase but I need to have a window that is leaking air inside my home fixed. Unfortunately this will not be covered by the warranty because there is no longer a warranty.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Do you have a link or any sort of confirmation of this.

Not challenging you but I have not hear of this and it is worthy of note if that is the case.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

WOW!
That is news to me... I was skeptical, but a little research proves that to be true. Here is a news report in the Milwaukee area:
http://fox6now.com/2014/05/04/you-buy-a ... maybe-not/

And the DWM article:
http://www.dwmmag.com/index.php/great-d ... of-stanek/

Just goes to show how important it is to thoroughly vet the dealer and manufacturer that you intend to do business with. I'm very sorry to hear about your circumstance wiplyer.

masterext

#13 Post by masterext »

I always assumed you guys knew this, the stanek website had this for over a year i think. I never cared because they arent in my market although now they may be.
That window looked extremely impressive until i found out it had a pocket sill.

GreatDayImprovements

#14 Post by GreatDayImprovements »

To Previous Customers of Stanek Vinyl Windows, Corp.:

Stanek Vinyl Windows, Corp. ceased operations in December 2012. Great Day Improvements is neither related to nor the successor of Stanek Vinyl Windows, Corp. and has no obligations under any warranties that Stanek Vinyl Windows, Corp. may have offered customers who purchased from it.

However, Great Day Improvements has recognized the challenges the loss of warranty benefits has caused customers who purchased Stanek® brand windows from Stanek Vinyl Windows Corp.

As a gesture of good will, beginning September 16, 2015, Great Day Improvements is offering a new limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty to previous customers of Stanek Vinyl Windows Corp. who 1) bought Stanek® brand products that were manufactured, sold and installed in the original customer’s residence by Stanek Vinyl Windows, Corp; and 2) whose residence is located within Great Day Improvements, LLC’s current serviceable geographic markets.

What this means to you is that parts for your Stanek® brand windows that are defective will now be covered under the new manufacturer’s warranty. Great Day Improvements current labor warranty is two (2) years so there will be a service charge to replace defective parts, but the parts themselves, in most cases, will be covered - which is the majority of the cost.

If you have a warranty issue, please call our service department in either Cleveland, OH at (216) 341-7700 or in Milwaukee, WI at (262) 798-0500 to learn more.

Thank you,
Great Day Improvements, LLC

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If we're talking about horizontal sliding windows, then keep in mind that every slider from every company including Stanek has a pocket sill. Funny how this design is unacceptable on this board for a double-hung but no big deal if its a horizontal slider.

not every slider has a pocket sill. The Andersen 400 does not. Interesting as I think about it why a vinyl window could not have a similar design. Already figured that one out, cost to much to make the design change for the volume sold.
TheWindowNERD