how to compensate the difference in the depth of the window?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
marinpetkov

how to compensate the difference in the depth of the window?

#1 Post by marinpetkov »

I need to replace an old NORCO window. I carefully made required measurement and now I have a new vinyl window that is 3 1/2 inch deep whereas the old window is 5 1/4 inch deep.
What would you suggest me in such a case in order the new window to look nice inside and outside? Thank you.

Windows on Washington

Re: how to compensate the difference in the depth of the window?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Did you do a full tear out?

If so, it should have jamb extensions used so that the window finishes near the same exterior plane.

marinpetkov

#3 Post by marinpetkov »

Hello, Thank you for your response. Yes, I removed the whole old window. To order new window extensions will take two weeks.Trying to avoid using the old window extension, I am trying to arrange an extension from vinyl planks. The opening of the window is not a perfect rectangle. So, the window frame gets out from the opening here and there. What would you suggest to fill the empty gaps with? Thanks. Marin

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Make your own interior extension jambs and don't both with vinyl. If it is going to be white, primed interiors will be fine.

marinpetkov

#5 Post by marinpetkov »

I will try to separate the old extension from the old window and use it on another new window. What would you suggest to do in order to not bend the old aluminum extension when separating it from the window? Thanks.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I wouldn't bother with old jambs. I like prefabbing the jambs and casing and setting it as one unit as long as the jamb depth is consistent. Vinyl jambs can be nice, but they can get expensive.