Sash Reinforcement for Long, Narrow Casements

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: Sash Reinforcement for Long, Narrow Casements

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

randy wrote:What my rep pointed out was that in the dealer's price book there's a list of standard features for each window in the Vanguard line. Under the casement/awning section there is no reference to Fibercore reinforcement, as there is in the double hung section and in the slider section.

I would think that ignorance rather than deception is the cause of the incorrect information in this case. I just hope my sales rep was correct in what he told me. :roll:
I agree with Randy. When salesguy's are trained on the products they are given the differences between product lines, (Ie: Sunrise vs Vanguard vs Restorations, etc). Given that double hungs are by far the most common, they are trained most on that configuration. The fibercore IS a difference on DH's, but NOT present to my knowledge on CA's... Probably just lack of product knowledge on that.
On casements in general, they are a mixed bag in my own personal opinion. I would not say that they are all "overbuilt", quality is still very much a factor. In fact, I deal with more service calls on casements than double hung by far, regardless of manufacturer. That is not to say that they are not performers-- they are-- particularly when new. Just don't think that it is a bullet proof configuration regardless of brand. I've seen far too many sagging sashes, hour glassed sashes, warped center frame/mullion on twins, and so on. Quality is especially important on a very tall unit.

tluke

New info on Restorations/Vanguard Casements

#17 Post by tluke »

I did find out from a reliable source (a Sunrise engineer) that Restorations does include FiberCore in all of its casement windows. Vanguard only includes it for those casements that are larger than a certain size threshold.

Thanks again to all those who contributed.

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

Did he specify on where it is used? IE: frame or sash, all four sides, etc?... That is news to me. I'd be interested in seeing a cutaway

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

While you have his/her ear, let us know so that we are informed for future inquiries.

tluke

#20 Post by tluke »

From what I was told (and this is backed up by one brochure that I was provided), the reinforcement is included in the sash stiles.

TommyJ

#21 Post by TommyJ »

tluke wrote:From what I was told (and this is backed up by one brochure that I was provided), the reinforcement is included in the sash stiles.
Is there an electronic version of this brochure online anywhere?

I would love to see it.

fridge2020

#22 Post by fridge2020 »

I have never heard of this either and I dealt with the line for years. Very new feature if true, but I'm skeptical regardless of who said it. Manufacturers typically shout these types of features/revisions from the mountain tops.

tluke

#23 Post by tluke »

I'm still somewhat skeptical as well and that is the reason I called Sunrise and spoke to the engineer.

Here is the evidence that I have in favor of FiberCore in Restorations casements:
1. The Sunrise engineer told me so
2. I was given a Restorations brochure that explicitly states that Restorations casements have FiberCore reinforced sash stiles.
3. I spoke to a competing Vanguard dealer who discussed the topic with his rep. The dealer originally told me that Vanguard casements had FiberCore. After speaking with his rep, he conceded that Restorations casements come with FiberCore and Vanguard casements do not (unless they pass certain size thresholds).

I am still somewhat skeptical for the following reasons:
1. The Restorations casement page on their website doesn't explicitly state that they contain FiberCore
2. I have seen online brochures similar to the one I have that don't mention FiberCore on the casements section.

So I have done my research but I am still not 100% sure what the truth is. I would like to know the truth but don't really have any other means at get at the truth.

Ultimately, I have decided to go with with Restorations. Because I think I got a pretty good deal on the windows (and based on the advice I received here that reinforcement really isn't necessary on narrow casements), it wouldn't kill the deal if I found out that FiberCore wasn't included. I would still like to know!

Anybody else want to take this up with their reps?

HomeSealed

#24 Post by HomeSealed »

Being in the stiles (vertical members) it would be the height that would be of significance more than the width, although I guess the wider unit would put more stress on the hinge side when open.
Either way, it is a good window with or without reinforcement. It will serve you well. :D