37 Windows...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jeep63

37 Windows...

#1 Post by jeep63 »

Our house was built only 15 years ago, but the windows are the crappiest vinyl "builder grade" ones you can get. They are single hung windows and the name Patriot comes to mine. They have spiral tension rods that don't hold most of the windows any more. The tilt in pivot holders are all plastic and broken. Needless to say they need replacing.

We have received multiple quotes for new windows...

1. Lowes - came out to talk Pella and ended up pushing Reliabilt.
2. A local Maryland window manufacturer -
3. Sunrise rep

All quoted double hung windows with 6 over 1 grids.

From my web research the Lowes option appears to be substandard to the other two. The Sunrise quote is for their standard Sunrise window NOT the Essentials line. The local window manufacturer only has one line of double hung window.

It is basically down to the local one and Sunrise.

Sunrise has the best warranty by far. The Local option has the better price by about 30%, but this is only due to a 'connection'.

I have to consider the extra cost of all new blinds since our 4" inside the window blinds will no longer work once the replacement windows are in.

It seems like Sunrise is the logical choice due to features & warranty, but I cannot argue with the price for the Local manufacturer.

We also have experience with the Sunrise rep as they installed a Sunrise Patio door for us and it is everything they promised.

I don't know if I have a question or it I am looking for others who have Sunrise Standard experience and can chime in on the quality/longevity of the windows.

I don't want to be replacing these in 15 years again. This cost is not something I want to do twice.

HomeSealed

Re: 37 Windows...

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

1) Sunrise is the easy choice there (without knowing about the local manufacturer)

2) In MD you should be in the area of Windows on Washington, one of the highly respected pros here on the forums. Eric runs an excellent operation over there, you would be well served to reach out and talk to him for comparison sake if nothing less.

3) You may be able to save the blinds. Can't say for sure without seeing it, but newer construction replacements don't always have to be downsized to fit inside the jamb returns which is what it sounds like your other quotes are proposing. In fact, there may be methods that offer superior protection and while the may be more expensive to execute, could offer savings overall without having to replace blinds and still offer a superior finisished product. Most companies won't even offer those options because they are more difficult, but a pro like Wow can advise whether its viable or not.

jeep63

#3 Post by jeep63 »

Thanks for the reply. I am at the extreme northern end of MD; nearly at the PA line. I doubt WOW comes this far north.

We discussed it last night further and we feel the Sunrise window is the best route to go for us.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Actually I believe that he does. Sunrise is a solid choice if you are already contracted for that option, but if not I'd at least reach out to WOW. I've never heard anyone say that they have and regretted it. Real good people over there. :)

randy

#5 Post by randy »

If WoW covers your area, I would absolutely recommend having him take a look at the job for three reasons.

1. You very well may prefer one of his windows to Sunrise.

2. Installation is every bit as critical as the window you choose and he's got some of the best installers (detail oriented) on the east cost.

3. Your purchasing service after the sale when you buy windows, and he's committed to long term customer satisfaction.