To mull or not to mull...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tluke

To mull or not to mull...

#1 Post by tluke »

Hey All,

I currently have several openings housing 2 and 3 wood casement windows throughout my home. The windows are separated by a 3 inch wood mullion. I have had two companies come out and propose different methods for replacing my windows.

Company A came out and proposed replacing each window separately to preserve the wood mullion.

Company B proposed mulling all of the grouped windows. The proposal stated that all internal wood casing would remain unchanged during the installation. When I asked about the wood mullion, he said they can either keep the wood mullion or remove it and use a vinyl cap. He didn't sound too confident in his reply, however. This company's proposal was significantly less expensive than Company A's.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it really possible to preserve the wood mullions if the windows are ordered mulled together?
2. What are the pros and cons of each installation method and which would you recommend?

Thanks again for all of the great info!
Last edited by tluke on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: To mull or not to mull...

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Same window?

By the lack of carpentry (assuming the same window) proposal A should be less expensive.

I like the look of wood mullions but I understand the though process behind taking them out (i.e. more glass).

tluke

#3 Post by tluke »

Company A -Vanguard
Company B - Restorations

Based on my research, Restorations should be more than Vanguard, but the difference should not be significant (especially for casements).

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

tluke wrote:Company A -Vanguard
Company B - Restorations

Based on my research, Restorations should be more than Vanguard, but the difference should not be significant (especially for casements).
Very similar windows. Pricing will be dealer specific weighted much more by other factors (business model, overhead, etc) than by the cost of the window itself.

Regarding the mulls, either way is acceptable. WoW is right on regarding pricing, as there is more carpentry needed in mull removal, as well as charges from the factory for mulling. Just depends if you want more glass or if you would prefer to preserve some of the character with the wood mulls staying. The casing can generally be retained if the mulls are removed, most of the time you will need to replace upper and lower interior stops however as they are typically notched around the mull posts.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

My concern about advising on this is the description of the mull.
At 3" it could be a support mull. If it is not a support mull , structural, then I woud remove the mull.
As far as cost goes I would typically se the cost for removing the mull to be ~ $174.20