Is this normal? Sag on new 44" double hung vinyl window.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hystick3

Is this normal? Sag on new 44" double hung vinyl window.

#1 Post by hystick3 »

Thank you for taking a look!

We just had our new windows installed and wanted to get a second opinion on something that is bothering me.

We had several windows installed and 7 are 48" x 48" double hung (actual window is 44"). On all of our others there is a slight bend/sag in the each sash where they meet up to be locked (maybe 1/8"), which I am a bit surprised to see.

However on the 48" x 48" this sag/bend is coming in at 1/4". When I asked the installer, he said he didn't know what caused it but that's how this window is.

So, is this normal and my expectations are out of whack? Or should I be going to my salesperson about this?

to sure if it matters, but these are the top of the line vinyl windows this company sells.

Image attached shows tape in front of a piece of string that I strung across the window to show the bend/sag.

Thanks again!
Attachments
image.jpg
(127.09 KiB) Downloaded 454 times

Delaware Mike

Re: Is this normal? Sag on new 44" double hung vinyl window.

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Is that horizontal sag or more of a vertical hour glass type of bowing? Sometimes, if a factory worker in the glazing department is careless or new, we see this as when the insulated glass unit is dropped into the glazing tape or is wet glazed they have to be careful not to handle the newly glazed sash with a "death grip" until everything sets up correctly. If you're in the vinyl industry you see this too often. Nothing gets my blood pressure any higher.

If it's wet glazed with regular silicone it could be an easy fix. Anything else, I'd ask for a new sash. Be forewarned though, a new sash will not typically work 100% as nicely as the sash that you take out until is "seats itself" into the master frame after a little time has past. There is no answer of this but I see it all of the time.

Looks like you pulled a string from inside corner to corner and measured center sag? Nice!!!!

hystick3

#3 Post by hystick3 »

Thank you Delaware Mike for the reply! It is more of a horizontal "sag", I added an additional photo of the entire window.

I have zero experience in the manufacturing of windows, however, to me it looks as if the stiles of each sash were cut too long. Because, if the rails of the upper and lower sashes were indeed straight, there is no way the locking mechanism would line up.

Thanks for the kudos on my use of a string to measure the center point sag. I am a part-time cabinet maker, and my first inclination was to cut a board to fit each window. However, I recalled seeing Tom Silva (This Old House) doing something similar, so I pulled out my daughters kite string.

Thanks again for taking a look!

Rob
Attachments
IMG_1918.jpg
(120.92 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Rob,

That picture tells a much different story.

That is not correct and either the extrusion had a slight bend to it or it was not designed to be that large.

What window manufacturer is that?

Either way, you are due for either a new sash or a new/different window.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

My question as well, what brand of windows is that?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

masterext wrote:My question as well, what brand of windows is that?
Since no one is mentioning what brand it is I'm erasing my guess.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

I would get a new sash. That's not normal for any manufacturer.

hystick3

#8 Post by hystick3 »

Thank you all for the responses!

Respectfully, I would like to allow the company an opportunity to resolve the issue before releasing their name. They will be out this afternoon, at which time I hope to return with the details of how the situation will be resolved.

This has really been eating at me, so I really appreciate the info!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

You still never mentioned the brand?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

As a quick sidebar, I don't anyone is asking for the company name.

It sounds like they are handling it properly.

Nor would anyone pass judgement on a brand in entirety based on one window. I stated previously that sometimes vinyl can come through the extruders and if they aren't tuned and dialed in right, they can have a memory to them that might be curved.

fridge2020

#11 Post by fridge2020 »

That is not normal, and I hate to break the news, but that is not a high end window either. Squared off, internal glazing beads, cheapo hardware, and what looks to be a pretty thin, flimsy extrusion.
You will need a new sash on that.