Raleigh, NC - Looking for replacement vinyl windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dmw319

Raleigh, NC - Looking for replacement vinyl windows

#1 Post by dmw319 »

My house was built in 1963 and has 22 metal frame, single pane windows. I have gotten quotes from Window World ($11,000), Champion ($17,000) and a friend who owns a construction company quoted me using Alside for their Mezzo window (around $9,000). All the windows are 2-window sliding windows (left to right type) and 1 of them is a 3- window slider. The quotes have a pretty wide range. Just trying to see if there are any other windows or companies/installers I should look at in my area (Raleigh, NC)?

Thanks! 8)
Last edited by dmw319 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

randy

Re: Raleigh, NC - Looking for replacement vinyl windows

#2 Post by randy »

Yes, you should. I'd look for dealers of the following brands: Okna, Soft-lite, or Sunrise. These are all better brands than the ones you've been quoted so far. Sliders are less air-tight than other styles to start with, so choosing a better built product will help make up for some of the inherent weaknesses in the sliding style window, and will give you better all-around performance and durability as well.

dmw319

#3 Post by dmw319 »

thanks! if anyone knows any companies that install these windows, please let me know!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to Randy's advice.

Keep shopping and don't short yourself on product or company.

dmw319

#5 Post by dmw319 »

Windows on Washington wrote:+1 to Randy's advice.

Keep shopping and don't short yourself on product or company.
thanks. any advice on where to look? or companies in the area?

dmw319

#6 Post by dmw319 »

Here are rough sizes:

Size # of Windows
35x35 5
47x47 2
35x47 4
35x59 4
35x71 2
47x59 1
47x83 1
59x71 2
Total 21

Pics are in this doc here:

https://savedalone.files.wordpress.com/ ... ndows.docx

randy

#7 Post by randy »

Best thing to do is go to the manufacturers' websites and do a dealer search. If that doesn't provide any local contractors, call the companies and ask for the nearest dealer. None of the pros here serve your market, so we can't help with pricing. We are happy to review the options you have been presented with however, and help guide you to the best decision.

dmw319

#8 Post by dmw319 »

randy wrote:Best thing to do is go to the manufacturers' websites and do a dealer search. If that doesn't provide any local contractors, call the companies and ask for the nearest dealer. None of the pros here serve your market, so we can't help with pricing. We are happy to review the options you have been presented with however, and help guide you to the best decision.
i got you. that makes sense.

out of the 3 presented, is there a general order as far as quality? are all 3 no-gos? just trying to get a good look at my options.

thanks

fridge2020

#9 Post by fridge2020 »

Bad, worse, and worst, lol. Window World and Alside are the same window. You get what you pay for. The fact that your friend actually charges LESS than WW is pretty alarming. Tells me he probably won't be in business for long, although using a lower end window should be enough of a red flag off the bat.
Champion's window is marginally better, but way overpriced. The Champion pricing sounds about right for that job, but you should be able to get a much better window for that. The guys above gave good advice on that, contact the manufacturers and ask for a dealer recommendation.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

Based on previous experience with Alside and extremely poor customer service, combined with poorly designed products, I could never suggest that anyone purchase them. As fridge said, Champion is overpriced for what you're getting. Until you see a quality product, you won't know what's so wrong with the windows you've seen so far.

My advice, again, is to get more quotes on some quality windows.

dmw319

#11 Post by dmw319 »

randy wrote:Based on previous experience with Alside and extremely poor customer service, combined with poorly designed products, I could never suggest that anyone purchase them. As fridge said, Champion is overpriced for what you're getting. Until you see a quality product, you won't know what's so wrong with the windows you've seen so far.

My advice, again, is to get more quotes on some quality windows.
Thanks. I did have Andersen come by, but his estimate was way too high (almost 30,000) so I quickly ruled them out, I just don't have that kind of money to spend right now on windows. So far Champion's product seemed the best, but I have 2 more companies coming in the next few days to give me other estimates. Will post back up soon!

randy

#12 Post by randy »

Great, keep us posted.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

randy wrote:Great, keep us posted.
+1

Don't get discouraged. There are some great products out there and don't settle until you get the company and product that you really want for your home.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

ABC doesn't have the best line up of windows.

That number on the Okna quote is super cheap. Not sure how they are doing it at that number but if that is true, that is a great deal.

dmw319

#15 Post by dmw319 »

i dont see where some of my posts went. is it against forum rules to post estimates? if so, i apologize