Raleigh, NC - Looking for replacement vinyl windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dmw319

Re: Raleigh, NC - Looking for replacement vinyl windows

#31 Post by dmw319 »

HomeSealed wrote:Atrium does not offer a window that acheives top level performance.

Feel free to continue shopping if you would like, but unless that Okna dealer has major red flags, it seems like a no brainer to me. It is one of the top vinyl windows on the market (if not the the best), and that pricing is VERY aggressive.
Can you explain a little more about the performance? The Okna window I was quoted for was .26 Ufactor and .29 SHGC. The Atrium was .31 Ufactor and .29 SHGC. Didn't seem like a huge margin to me? Or do you mean more specifically about the frame?

HomeSealed

#32 Post by HomeSealed »

1) U factor of .31 to .26 is a very significant difference. .31 is terrible. It does not even meet energy star, and certainly not even close to the new Energy Star which will be .27. This would be like saying 15mpg and 20mpg don't seem like a big difference.

2) Ufactor and shgc are only one aspect. The structural ratings, primarily air infiltration, are very important as well. Again, there will be a profound discrepancy between these products.

Lastly, looking at these ratings give you a great indication of the quality of the product in addition to the performance to expect. With very few exceptions, you will not find a poor quality product that has top level ratings, nor will you find a great quality product with poor ratings.

dmw319

#33 Post by dmw319 »

HomeSealed wrote:1) U factor of .31 to .26 is a very significant difference. .31 is terrible. It does not even meet energy star, and certainly not even close to the new Energy Star which will be .27. This would be like saying 15mpg and 20mpg don't seem like a big difference.

2) Ufactor and shgc are only one aspect. The structural ratings, primarily air infiltration, are very important as well. Again, there will be a profound discrepancy between these products.

Lastly, looking at these ratings give you a great indication of the quality of the product in addition to the performance to expect. With very few exceptions, you will not find a poor quality product that has top level ratings, nor will you find a great quality product with poor ratings.
thanks! im still learning and just trying to make the best decision without blowing my budget or sacrificing quality

dmw319

#34 Post by dmw319 »

so my most recent quote is roughly $425 per window installed for okna 400 series. Does that seem about right? I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger here soon!

HomeSealed

#35 Post by HomeSealed »

Extremely reasonable, however I strongly prefer the 500 series if you can get it, 500dx to be more specific. The 400 is good, but the 500 is tighter and more stout for a minimal upcharge.

dmw319

#36 Post by dmw319 »

thanks! ill look into it

dmw319

#37 Post by dmw319 »

he said that they do not have the availability of the 500 right now.

fridge2020

#38 Post by fridge2020 »

400 is still better than most stuff out there. Is the 400 all he has, or can he get the 800, just not the 5?

dmw319

#39 Post by dmw319 »

fridge2020 wrote:400 is still better than most stuff out there. Is the 400 all he has, or can he get the 800, just not the 5?
he can get 800 as well.

i decided to go with 800 for 4 of the main windows in the house (2 in family, 1 in dining, and 1 in family room), and 400 for the rest of the house. final estimate came to 9,420. So $448 a window.

HomeSealed

#40 Post by HomeSealed »

Fine rationale and a very low price. You'll be very happy with the product assuming proper install and service.

dmw319

#41 Post by dmw319 »

HomeSealed wrote:Fine rationale and a very low price. You'll be very happy with the product assuming proper install and service.
glad to hear it! i'll post up with updates 8)

dmw319

#42 Post by dmw319 »

thinking ahead.. what type of blinds would you guys reccomend that would look good with slider windows? I can't seem to prefer one style over another. Right now we have a few cellular blinds. My other house has faux wood blinds but not sure how good that would look with sliders. Any reccomendations?