Raleigh, NC - Looking for replacement vinyl windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windows on Washington

Re: Raleigh, NC - Looking for replacement vinyl windows

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

dmw319 wrote:i dont see where some of my posts went. is it against forum rules to post estimates? if so, i apologize
Sometimes the filters catch stuff that was unintentional.

Hyperlinks to other sites (unless for image purposes) are typically snagged.

You can post up about the quote but try not to use specific company names (i.e. the vendor/installer) and we will try to provide feedback.

dmw319

#17 Post by dmw319 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
dmw319 wrote:i dont see where some of my posts went. is it against forum rules to post estimates? if so, i apologize
Sometimes the filters catch stuff that was unintentional.

Hyperlinks to other sites (unless for image purposes) are typically snagged.

You can post up about the quote but try not to use specific company names (i.e. the vendor/installer) and we will try to provide feedback.
ok thanks.

well i got a quote for the okna 800 series for 12,000. (I think you already replied to that post though, which is now gone).

anyone have any thoughts on the okna warranty? i have heard various things good and bad and its always hard to tell because you can always find something negative on the internet if you look...

randy

#18 Post by randy »

That is a great price on (arguably) the best vinyl window in the country - easily the best choice.

Okna's warranty coverage is as good as anyone's. It's a solid company that is innovative and growing rapidly. I wouldn't have any concern whatsoever with the warranty.

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

I have no negative personal experience nor have I heard of any regarding warranty coverage.... Except of course from dishonest competitors. :wink:

dmw319

#20 Post by dmw319 »

Their warranty doesn't seem as good as champions though. Theres says no charge for parts (which others do as well) but then it also includes the repair and installation and also covers broken glass or screen repair for any occurrence! Free for first 2 years then only $76 per trip after that time.

randy

#21 Post by randy »

If I understand what you've told us so far, Champion's quote is $5000.00 dollars higher than the quote for Okna, and they're offering an inferior window. I'm sure if you are willing to pay your Okna dealer an extra $5000.00 he would be happy to provide the same warranty coverage as Champion.

dmw319

#22 Post by dmw319 »

So you are making the argument that i am simply paying for the warranty? If so, I see your point. I'm just wondering why other companies warranties aren't as strong.

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

dmw319 wrote:So you are making the argument that i am simply paying for the warranty? If so, I see your point. I'm just wondering why other companies warranties aren't as strong.
Knowing what we know about vinyl window, warranties (and playing them up) are largely marketing tools.

If you have a good vendor that you are dealing with and select a good product, the likelihood that you will every have to make an inquiry is actually quite small.

dmw319

#24 Post by dmw319 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
dmw319 wrote:So you are making the argument that i am simply paying for the warranty? If so, I see your point. I'm just wondering why other companies warranties aren't as strong.
Knowing what we know about vinyl window, warranties (and playing them up) are largely marketing tools.

If you have a good vendor that you are dealing with and select a good product, the likelihood that you will every have to make an inquiry is actually quite small.
that makes sense. thank you

randy

#25 Post by randy »

Yes, you're paying a high premium to cover the cost of their extensive marketing and to cover warranty claims down the road. I'd save the money and get the better window. You'll have $5000.00 in your bank account as an insurance policy against any future issues, which are extremely unlikely anyway.

dmw319

#26 Post by dmw319 »

randy wrote:Yes, you're paying a high premium to cover the cost of their extensive marketing and to cover warranty claims down the road. I'd save the money and get the better window. You'll have $5000.00 in your bank account as an insurance policy against any future issues, which are extremely unlikely anyway.
seems logical to me!

HomeSealed

#27 Post by HomeSealed »

Good points above.
I'd add that the service part installation and glass breakage are often part of the coverage offered by the installation company. Virtually no manufacturer offers to cover the installation of warranty parts unless they are actually installing the window as well (which is the case with Champion)
My own company for instance offers glass breakage coverage as a low cost option, and warranty part installation is part of our workmanship warranty.

dmw319

#28 Post by dmw319 »

HomeSealed wrote:Good points above.
I'd add that the service part installation and glass breakage are often part of the coverage offered by the installation company. Virtually no manufacturer offers to cover the installation of warranty parts unless they are actually installing the window as well (which is the case with Champion)
My own company for instance offers glass breakage coverage as a low cost option, and warranty part installation is part of our workmanship warranty.
I did not think of it that way. Thanks!

dmw319

#29 Post by dmw319 »

I just received another quote from a company that uses Atrium Repel Series 8300 windows. Anybody know anything about them?

HomeSealed

#30 Post by HomeSealed »

Atrium does not offer a window that acheives top level performance.

Feel free to continue shopping if you would like, but unless that Okna dealer has major red flags, it seems like a no brainer to me. It is one of the top vinyl windows on the market (if not the the best), and that pricing is VERY aggressive.