nyc area help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
CT1989

nyc area help

#1 Post by CT1989 »

I'm a new homeowner and am in need of replacing some old aluminum storm windows. They're are not seal properly and I noticed a lot of air seeps in. Additionally, when it's windy, the windows makes a lot of banging noise. I'm not very familiar in this area and have gotten quotes and could use some guidance.

I have 2 set of twin double hung in the first floor and 4 basement windows that needs replacement. I have gotten a quote of 2400 for Crystal (not sure which one) and about 2900 for Ideal ultatite. Can I do better with a budget under 3k?

Any feedback will be helpful

Thanks, Cheers.
Last edited by CT1989 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: nyc area help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

CT,

I can't imagine you are going to be exposed to that many quality products at your proposed budget on 8 units.

How do they two companies compare?

Those numbers you have are very aggressive but I not a fan of either unit.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Are you looking for storm windows or replacement windows?

CT1989

#4 Post by CT1989 »

Thanks for the reply. I currently have storm windows (they are aluminum with two glass layers). I like to replace them w/ double hung vinyl windows. The twin units are appx 64x61. The basement windows are appx 31x16. I know it's a small budget and I wouldn't mind going up a bit more, but would like suggestions on what I could work with.

The ideal windows comes out to 880 each for the twin unit (1760) with installation (these are supposed to be low-e, argon windows per the salesmen)
The basement windows are 295 each (1180) with installation

The Crystal windows are 400 (800) each for the twin unit and 200 eacch (800) for the basement windows and installation will be 800 total.

How much more would i need to spend in the area (nyc - brooklyn) to get some quality windows without breaking the bank?

Thanks again.
Last edited by CT1989 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Crystal is total garbage , plain and simple. Ideal isnt much better, although a bit better than crystal.
No way in the world can you get any kind of quality with a 3k budget on 8 windows. Its just very unrealistic unless you want to totally cheapen the look of your home.
You will need to be closer to 3800 - 4k. This also depends on the kind of openings that are in the basement.

CT1989

#6 Post by CT1989 »

Any recommendation on a contractor or a dealer I can go to with honest price - and brand you would recommend? Admittingly I do not know much and was concern with the lowest quotes.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Crystal is not a window that I would recommend. What's even more alarming would be a contractor that would be pushing them. Good mechanics/installers tend to like to work with good tools and materials. When we see lower level products like this we often see them married with really bad installations. It's not always the case, but I wouldn't risk it.

I'd push on and keep up the research. It's a project that should only be done once and regardless if you pay $300 or $800 a window, you should love your new windows.