Soft-Lite vs Sunrise in MO

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mlbogert

Soft-Lite vs Sunrise in MO

#1 Post by mlbogert »

I live in the Kansas City area and have two bids that I'm currently considering that I would appreciate some opinions on. When I began this process two weeks ago, I knew next to nothing about vinyl replacement windows, so I could obviously use some assistance! I've received 4 bids total, but after doing some research I found that one bid was way over priced and another was for an inferior product, so I'm currently down to two. Both bids seem a little on the high side from what I've read.

I'm replacing 11 total windows: 4 casements, 7 fixed (all with grids)
Casements are ~100"UI (two tempered)
One larger fixed 110"UI
All other fixed <100"UI (two tempered)

Windows replacing 11 year old originals on a stucco frame. I do have visible sill rot on one of the windows that these bids were factoring in to replace.

Sunrise "Signature Series": $8900
Soft-Lite Imperial LS: $8300

Sunrise contractor claims the "Signature Series" is equivalent to the Restorations line, however I've seen some say it's actually the Vanguard line. One of the criteria high on my list is total visible glass. I understand Sunrise is one of the best in this arena, but are the Soft-Lites close? I know they both have good efficiency numbers. One thing that leans me toward Sunrise was the contractor does not sub any work. Soft-Lite contractor has their own crews, but does sub some work. Both offer good warranties. Both installers highly rated on Angie's List.

Anything else I should be considering? Are these reasonable deals or should I keep looking? I have one more bid coming on Monday and hope to make my decision after that. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Windows on Washington

Re: Soft-Lite vs Sunrise in MO

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

In that comparison, the Sunrise is definitely narrower than the Imperial LS and it is noticeable by eye.

Both windows are great but if viewable glass is important, Sunrise is the clear choice.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Pricing sounds about right, although there are a lot of variables from product options to install circumstances that are unknown, and can have a profound effect on price.

On product, WoW's assessment is right in. If the "Signature" is indeed similar to the Vanguard and Restorations, it is a toss up between the two. The SL is slightly more stout with higher structural ratings, but the Sunrise will provide noticeably more glass area.
On installers, the sub vs employee thing is generally used as a scare tactic more than anything in this business. Providing high quality installs and standing behind them is most important. Most companies use both at one time or another. What is FAR more telling is how well the installers are paid, regardless of if it is on payroll or 1099. This is where the "bargain price" and box store outfits come up way short.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

In casements, I prefer Sunrise based on appearance.

mlbogert

#5 Post by mlbogert »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'll pay a little more and get the Sunrise. I was most comfortable with that installer as well, so that helps the confidence. Thanks again! Much appreciated!

TroyJ

#6 Post by TroyJ »

Were you pleased with the result?

I am also in MO and had exactly the same questions (probably the same vendors), which brought me to this post, very helpful already.