SE Michigan Wood or Vinyl Contractor Help! Sears/Sunrise ETC

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
qidwhy

SE Michigan Wood or Vinyl Contractor Help! Sears/Sunrise ETC

#1 Post by qidwhy »

So I live in a 3400sq ft home in SE Michigan ( Canton ) and have contractor grade woods that were new installed with the house in 1998. The company that made them has since went out of business. Some of the windows refuse to close the whole way or don't stay open.
Very frustrating and expensive.

Wood

Seems like a lot of houses in my sub still have their original wood windows...

My options are to refurbish the wood windows. All glass are in great shape however all sashes/window weather stripping/caulking needs to be redone/refurbished. I found a company called IRW window repair that would do it.

Does anyone in michigan have any experience with their work? And or recommend them? And why I should shouldn't choose this route?

However,

If I don't rehab my wood windows am thinking about replacing 13 of the 18 windows with Vinyl or maybe replacing all 18 windows, not including the sliding patio door.

We dont plan to stay in this house longer than 4-6 years since my parents are old and wish to down size

My mother's an employee of Sears and receives a 10% discount off the bottom line.
Quote from Sears after all discounts:

For 13 double hung LowE/argon windows = $7800. This was the lowest tier weatherguard window.

for the middle of the ground weatherguard = $9200
which adds a lifetime window warranty.

all come with a lifetime warranty as long as i own the house.

Now through this forum I've been schooled on Sunrise, Window World, Okna, and Simonton. (Thanks guys! :D )

QUESTIONS.

Is Sears weather guard a good solid efficient window?

Should I go with a triple pane window since I live in Michigan, even if I don't plan to keep this house long term? Or is double pane good enough?

Another Option
Should I order windows separately from a company and then find an installer/contractor to install them?
Would this be cheaper?
I'm trying to save my parents money and have a quality product.

Others
How much do Sunrise LowE double hung windows usually run installed?

Can anyone recommend a good Sunrise, Simonten, and/or Okna installers/dealers in the SE Michigan area that are pros and great?

What do you guys think about Window World?

The closest shop is in Toledo OH. I know they sell cut rate windows installed. But are they of quality?

Can i get a great product/service at a great price from them?

Should I do a complete tear out? or just a replacement?

I'm just trying to help my mom out and my father who are in hospice care. I know you usually get what you pay for, but im trying to keep this project under $11k for my parents piece of mind.

Sorry for the long post and thank for being very helpful and informative forum :)

Thanks in advance!
You guys rock! :)

Windows on Washington

Re: SE Michigan Wood or Vinyl Contractor Help! Sears/Sunrise ETC

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am sorry this post was never answered. I think it just go overlooked.

Did you ever pull the trigger? The sears window is just and okay window and not great when you figure what is available out there and near that price point.

Let me know if you made a decision or not as we will point you in the right direction.