Mezzo windows from Alside

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
curious1991

Mezzo windows from Alside

#1 Post by curious1991 »

I think that is the name. My question to the pro's is, did they discontinue the Excalibur and make something a little better or is it a new series and a decent window. The Windowworld guy says it walks on water. I cannot afford the Softlite's and equals, but don't want to come down the ladder to many steps. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Two other brands I considering are Alliance and the Alside Sheffield. $400.00 a double hung with low-e and argon is my max. Again thanks.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Mezzo windows from Alside

#2 Post by masterext »

The mezzo is basically an excalibur with a different sill. The sheffield is very bulky looking and has a high air leakage number; poorly designed with a problematic sill. You say 400 per window is your max? You are going to need to increase your budget or do your window project in stages in order to get something decent.
Why waste money on a poorly designed window, doesnt make too much sense.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

For the WW guy, this window might be a savior but that is based on the poor window they were using previously.

Seems to be quite a bit of mez*o traffic of late... :roll: so it appears that WW and the other guys are happy to hock this thing.

Is is a bad window, no. Is it as good as claimed, far from that as well.

There are better windows and more trusted commodities as similar price points. I don't know you market but what I can tell you is that staying that that number range, you are going to be picking for a limited selection and I am not sure any of them will be considered great choices.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

It is a significant improvement on paper, but when you see, feel, and operate it, it feels like same old Excalibur. As they say, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... or should I say dud.
The fact that it can't handle triple pane glass units is extremely telling as to the structural integrity IMO.

+1 to the other posters on budget as well. Can you get a great (or even above average) product for $400? Not from a reputable company that will be around to service you in 5-10 years. You really need to bump that up by $100+ at a BARE MINIMUM. Nothing wrong ith doing the project in 2 or 3 phases. You will thank yourself years from now.

I'd advise checking out some alternative options for installation companies as well. The "discount" window companies and box stores pay out a fraction of the "going rate" to their installers. How do you think that might impact the quality of the both the installation, and of the person that you are trusting in your home?... Just food for thought.

fridge2020

#5 Post by fridge2020 »

These guys are being diplomatic. Its the same crap its always been IMO.
Don't take this the wrong way, but its ridiculous how may shoppers come through here thinking that they might have struck gold, and found an amazing window for super cheap. It doesn't exist. You can't get a new Benz for $18k, and you can't get a great window for $400 or less. Don't let the lure of what sounds like a great deal override your common sense.