Window Installation: Spray Foam

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
RobDMB

Window Installation: Spray Foam

#1 Post by RobDMB »

In considering window contractors, is it considered a "red flag" if a contractor indicates they do not use spray foam on their installs and prefer batt insulation? THanks.

randy

Re: Window Installation: Spray Foam

#2 Post by randy »

For me it is. Fiberglass batt insulation is only useful if it can be installed in a cavity that is airtight. This can be achieved in applications where wood windows are being replaced and there is a wood frame with cavities that can be filled with fiberglass and then the joints all caulked to be sealed from air infiltration.

If the perimeter of the window can be sealed from all sides, it's fine to fill the cavity with fiberglass. If they're just stuffing fiberglass around the window without regard to the movement of air, it's a waste. Remember, fiberglass is used for air filters because air moves through it so readily. Closed cell polyurethane spray foams are the best way to seal and insulate the cavity around new windows.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Spray foam is better in every way. Does that mean that you will get a bad install? Not necessarily, some of the older installers that are excellent craftsmen don't like using it. That said, whether a company uses it or not can be telling as whether or not they are passionate about products and install techniques that offer leading edge technology.
I guess to more specifically answer, no, it may not be a red flag in getting a quality installation, but yes, it can be a red flag in getting the most energy efficient installed finished product.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

SPF is actually easier (shhh...don't tell anyone) once you have the tools and familiarity of using the stuff.

You can accomplish the same result with backer rod and caulking but it takes longer and doesn't work as well.

fridge2020

#5 Post by fridge2020 »

Foam is the only way to go in my opinion.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As yall know I am an old dog who is still learning new tricks.
There are circumstances where fiberglass is the only option, or where I use fiberglass as a backer not to blow a whole can on one side.
SPF is easy but does require as with most excellent choices a little more knowledge and skill in proper use: ie not over filling, temperature control, gun care, as well as cleanliness.
SPF is not that new or cutting edge, we have been using it for over ten years.