Window suggestion

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Sesquipedalian

Window suggestion

#1 Post by Sesquipedalian »

Hi, I was I believe previously registered here but can't remember my old username so had to re register under a new one. I bought Gorell windows back in 2005 and the install was terrible. I won't go into everything again but I never did get that straightened out. I should have done things differently but could not afford to pursue legal action at the time. It has been confirmed that the install was done poorly and also the window measurements. Now all the upper panes have frosted over and I just found out that I am stuck with no warranty.

Are there any options for replacing the glass without having to get new windows?

If I have to get new windows are there some good products out there that the companies are big enough and well enough established that they should be around for the long haul?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Window suggestion

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

S,

Sorry to hear of the nightmare installation.

Contact Soft-Lite and see what they will do on a warranty claim (they will charge you but what, I do not know) for your window project.

They will probably reference you to another vendor in the area to get you pricing but at least start the conversation there and see what kind of number they throw out.

After that, post back up (write down you screen name and password this time :lol: ) and let us know what the numbers wind up being.

Being able to compare the warranty service fees with the new window pricing will tell you what and where the dollars are best spent.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Gorell's product line was pretty solid, no reason to replace the whole window unless they were really jacked up by the poor install. You can get new glass right from SL or from any local glass shop. If otoh you are looking at having them completely reinstalled and/or other parts replaced, full replacement of the units becomes more sensible.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

If the windows are frosting over due to the installation replacing glass will not help.The frosting is happening on the inner surface of glass and not in between the glass?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Given the time of year, I'm assuming that the OP is referring to a seal failure when he/she describes "frosted over" glass.

If the glass actually does have frost on the surface of the glass that you can touch from inside the home then Todd is right, glass replacement won't fix that. I'd also add that you probably have more problems than just the installation if that is the case.

If it is fog/frost/moisture between the panes as WoW and I assumed, then IGU replacement is in order.

Sesquipedalian

#6 Post by Sesquipedalian »

Sorry, the glass is not fogging on the surface. It appears to be seal failure. I have 10 bad panes. If I had them repaired and then more had the same thing happen I would have to pay to have them fixed.

The screens are too tight to raise up without an extreme amount of effort. Some of the screens have pulled away from the frame in places and that is nothing that I did to cause it. Also the already mentioned install issues. If everything was right except for the panes then I think I would consider repairing or replacing the panes but with all the other issues I think it might be better to buy new windows.

When you say warranty through Soft Lite I would guess you mean they might give me a break on new windows? I bought mine before Soft Lite got involved with Gorell so I am not sure they would give me any kind of warranty. Back when I researched and bought these I thought the high end Soft Lite were highly regarded but below that nothing special. Is that correct? How is Soft Lite as a company to deal with after the purchase?

What Is your opinion of a window with a 0.30 U-Value and a 0.21 SHGC? Is it good enough?

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Soft-lite LS is a great window.

Service from almost all companies takes forever.

.30 U was the minimum to meet for the energy tax credit. Again it is a minimum, it does not indicate other more critical points to evaluate.
I find AI ( air infiltration) test results to be one of the quickest and easiest things to look at and determine if I would want the window in my own home.
Look for a .09 or less in AI, actually I prefer .05 or less, that way you will not feel any drafts from the window.

As you know now from experience the install is as critical as the product. It is harder to find exceptional installers. They are out there you just have to kiss a lot of toads to get there. Hopefully one of the other pro's will share tips on how to find the best installers.

fridge2020

#8 Post by fridge2020 »

Sesquipedalian wrote:Sorry, the glass is not fogging on the surface. It appears to be seal failure. I have 10 bad panes. If I had them repaired and then more had the same thing happen I would have to pay to have them fixed.

The screens are too tight to raise up without an extreme amount of effort. Some of the screens have pulled away from the frame in places and that is nothing that I did to cause it. Also the already mentioned install issues. If everything was right except for the panes then I think I would consider repairing or replacing the panes but with all the other issues I think it might be better to buy new windows.

When you say warranty through Soft Lite I would guess you mean they might give me a break on new windows? I bought mine before Soft Lite got involved with Gorell so I am not sure they would give me any kind of warranty. Back when I researched and bought these I thought the high end Soft Lite were highly regarded but below that nothing special. Is that correct? How is Soft Lite as a company to deal with after the purchase?

What Is your opinion of a window with a 0.30 U-Value and a 0.21 SHGC? Is it good enough?
Those ratings are terrible unless you live in a hot climate. That shgc would indicate 366 glass needed just to hit the bare minimum of .30U. Likely a poor window.
Good luck getting softlite to give you a deal. Not likely. Most people I've seen are turned off by that whole situation, but their top windows are good if you are still interetsed

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

If you are having all of those issues then perhaps replacement is worth exploring. The top SL options are performers, I'd say that your assessment is accurate.

Sesquipedalian

#10 Post by Sesquipedalian »

What mid grade window(s) is/are worth considering?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Home Guard Innovations, Soft-Lite Imperial LS and Elements, Okna 500 and 800, Sunrise Restorations and Vanguard, Kensington Quantum II is a good starting list.