Full Frame vs Pocket Replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bayusb

Full Frame vs Pocket Replacement

#1 Post by bayusb »

I have similar quotes for pocket (with Sunrise windows) and full frame replacement (with Great Lakes Lifestyles windows). The fellow quoting the pocket replacement says my existing wood frames (~30 years old) are fine, although he never seemed to inspect them closely. The fellow quoting the full frame replacement does not believe in pocket replacements, and says the Lifestyles are similar to the Sunrise. Your thoughts, comments would be very helpful. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Full Frame vs Pocket Replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nothing wrong with either as long as they are done correctly.

Depending on the application, I have seen folks do full tear outs where pockets were better suited.

If the wood frames are serviceable, pocket is the way to go.

bayusb

#3 Post by bayusb »

Thanks--makes sense. In order to determine if the existing wood frames are alright should there be some sort of careful inspection. Or is a quick visual on the inside frame sufficient?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

If there isnt ubiquitous wood rot, replacement is fine and will seal just as good as a full tear out. Usually, a quick visual is fine since most pro's can easily spot wood rot.
The Sunrise is going to be a much better choice over the great lakes. As long as he is not quoting the Sunrise " essentials", which is not a good window.

bayusb

#5 Post by bayusb »

Thanks for your help!

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Rotted wood is pretty noticeable. Full frame removals are good, but in my experience most people cannot justify the added expense for what many times is a small benefit. Each installation procedure has its place, but most homes are good candidates for replacement style.
On product, there are some similarities between the Plygem and Sunrise lines due to the fact that the family that started Sunrise previously owned Great Lakes. Great Lakes was bought by Plygem which is a huge corporation, and IMO the corporate beancounters have since had their way with the window. I like to think that the Sunrise product is what the Great lakes would have been if things had gone differently. It is a better window IMO, and the performance ratings show that as well.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am a huge fan of helping each customer figure out which is right for them.
Most companies are predisposed to one or the other based on personal bias, experience, sales/business model, and production capabilities.
Cost is the single largest obstacle. In our case it adds $250 to the cost of each window. But that is not the total cost, interior painting/staining has to be added to determine final cost, which we do not do.
We do both methods just as easily as all our installers are trained that way.
Full tear out pro's:
Maximize/maintain visible glass area, able to foam/seal RO to window, new interior casing, all rotten wood removed.
Full tear neg's:
cost more, takes longer, paint/stain interior.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

The Nerd nailed it. I'd say $250 would be a minimum up charge since full tear outs can be labor intensive and matching some interior trim can be expensive.