Recommend Mid-Range Windows in Chicago

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Kicknback1

Recommend Mid-Range Windows in Chicago

#1 Post by Kicknback1 »

We are in the market for replacement windows at our home in the Chicago area. Looking at 26 windows in our 25 year old home.

I've been doing my research and really appreciate all of the professional insight here on the forums.

We have looked at wood, fiberglass and vinyl windows and for the no maintenance, energy efficiency and cost, have decided on vinyl replacement windows.

I have read many of the posts here and the general consensus, is that for the high-end vinyl replacement window, Soft-Lite, Sunrise and Okna (depending on the specific model) are the recommended manufacturers to go with. I have also done my research on window companies in N. IL that rep/install these brands and met a few of them. They are all professional, didn't play games with special "deal of the day" pitches, etc. All of the quotes for the project came in pretty close, with the Sunrise Restorations being the highest.

Seems like an easy decision right? Pick the one I feel most comfortable with and have them install the specific model we like from them.

In the meantime, some recent changes in my company have given us cause to reconsider our future in this area/home, and all indications are that we won't be here beyond 5 years. That being said, there are some other renovation projects that we want to finish before putting the house on the market, so our budget has become a bit tighter in regard to replacement windows.

What I am looking for, is some recommendations on windows slightly below the ones listed above in terms of price. I realize that we will be making some concessions on energy efficiency, air infiltration, and other features that the top of the line models have.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

HomeSealed

Re: Recommend Mid-Range Windows in Chicago

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

All of the products that you've listed have a "good, better, best" lineup, so there should be an offering that aligns more closely with your budget. Frankly, the dealer selection will have far more effect on the price than the product itself. I know of a company near me that was selling the same window that can be purchased for "$189" installed, for $1500 per unit. Conversely, there are companies that sell higher end windows for really cheap. When that is the case, it is typically becasue they are not well established, have very low overhead, or cut corners. Ultimately it comes down to your appetite for risk. A great product from a reputable company is going to cost very similar to a midrange product.

Kicknback1

#3 Post by Kicknback1 »

Thank you for the input HomeSealed. I did get quotes for example between various Sunrise and Okna products but the difference was only about $1K between their top product and their "better" product. Haven't seen any recommendations on the lower end products from either of those manufacturers to go that route.

It would appear that if I'm looking to get my budget lower, than I run the risk of nothing more than a cheap vinyl product that we'll be disappointed in for the next 5 years, and spend too much time trying to justify to prospective home buyers that the windows are of high quality and they won't have to replace them for 20 years.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

KB,

I have had this same conversation with several of my customers from time to time as well.

As long as the investment is reasonable, going with the better window usually pays dividends and even in the resale equation.

I liken it to a asphalt roof undertaking. Can you put 3-Tabs on a home and successfully cover the roof and make it watertight...yes. Does the additional investment (again...within reason) of dimensional (architectural) shingles help the resale of the home...yes.

I appreciate going on a budget but be sure to not knock the bottom out of it and hurt resale on the home.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Two thoughts.
Call back some of the companies that you spoke to and liked and explain your new situation and ask for reccomendations.
If he serves your area you should also talk with Dave, he is a pro here on the board, and post as Window4U. Lots of great product, best installs.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

TheWindowNerd wrote:Two thoughts.
Call back some of the companies that you spoke to and liked and explain your new situation and ask for reccomendations.
If he serves your area you should also talk with Dave, he is a pro here on the board, and post as Window4U. Lots of great product, best installs.
Duh....!!! :oops: :oops:

Totally blanked on Dave. You can find him here in this thread and get his contact information.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6109

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+2. Dave is a great resource down there.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

3tab shingles are often the same price or even more than dimensional shingles these days. I have run across many installers that don't know how to even do a 3-tab install.
The most important part for windows or shingles is the install. A good mid range product would suit you well especially installed by a recommended pro.

timchi29

#9 Post by timchi29 »

Stay away from Jack's Wholesale Windows. Typical strong arm sales pitch and almost had to call the cops to get them out of my house. Dave installed my windows and his guys are top knotch.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Kicknback1, If I'm the Okna dealer who quoted your project, drop me an email and let me know who you are. I'd be more than happy to quote you another series or two of Okna windows with a lower price point that will still give you great performance numbers.